SAU Community

Boost Problem

SHADDY

Hi Guys,

Had my car on the dyno today getting my pfc tuned. Asked the mechanic if we could run it on 12 psi.

This afternoon when I went and picked it up he said that he could not get any more than 9psi. He said that he thinks one of the waste gates was stuck open, does this sound right. It's a 32 gtr with standard turbos and a manual boost controller. Chris

A stuck wastegate will stop you running higher boost for sure but if your mechanic/tuner can't ascertain the nature of the fault then you might want to consider taking it somewhere else. A good mechanic/tuner is worth his/her weight in gold, especially when talking boost.

Have you ever been able to run more than 9? Does it have a stock computer (My 33 GTR has the stock boost restrictor in place but was running 13psi - found it had an aftermarket computer).

2nd opinion can never hurt, try to find someone who knows Imports and particularly GTR's.

A stuck wastegate will stop you running higher boost for sure but if your mechanic/tuner can't ascertain the nature of the fault then you might want to consider taking it somewhere else. A good mechanic/tuner is worth his/her weight in gold, especially when talking boost.

Have you ever been able to run more than 9? Does it have a stock computer (My 33 GTR has the stock boost restrictor in place but was running 13psi - found it had an aftermarket computer).

2nd opinion can never hurt, try to find someone who knows Imports and particularly GTR's.

THANKS it has a power fc, i got a feeling he put the boost controler on the wrong line no matter how much you ajust it still the same boost.

Did you install the PowerFC? Are you sure there's not a boost control module for the PFC installed somewhere?

It does sound like he's doing something wrong though, you should be able to vary boost by 'some' amount if it's on the right line. I've not fitted a controller to my GTR (only had it a week) but on my Series II GTS25T it was installed on the vacuum line between the Intercooler pipe work and the Wastegate actuator. Make sure it's installed the right way too, if it's not it will boost all over the place and you'll be picking up RB26 pieces =\

Edited by ActionDan

Did you install the PowerFC? Are you sure there's not a boost control module for the PFC installed somewhere?

It does sound like he's doing something wrong though, you should be able to vary boost by 'some' amount if it's on the right line. I've not fitted a controller to my GTR (only had it a week) but on my Series II GTS25T it was installed on the vacuum line between the Intercooler pipe work and the Wastegate actuator. Make sure it's installed the right way too, if it's not it will boost all over the place and you'll be picking up RB26 pieces =\

yeh i put the pfc in but it's the same with the standard one.may have to start pulling shit off and have a bit more of a look.

The issue of safe boost level on stock ceramic GTR turbo's is a contentious one. Many people have safely run about a bar with no issues, many others have reported turbo failures and in some cases engine damage from ceramic dust being ingested. The decision is yours but be warned that pushing the ceramic turbo's WILL reduce their life and increase the risk of failure as does pushing any component harder.

The issue of safe boost level on stock ceramic GTR turbo's is a contentious one. Many people have safely run about a bar with no issues, many others have reported turbo failures and in some cases engine damage from ceramic dust being ingested. The decision is yours but be warned that pushing the ceramic turbo's WILL reduce their life and increase the risk of failure as does pushing any component harder.

yep i wanted to run at about 12.

Doesn't the power FC have its own ebc therefore eliminating the need for the manual one? I got my car tuned to 13 psi and i had the power fc and eboost hooked up. The eboost was controlling the boost levels but when i went to pick the car up the engine light was on. The mechanic said "oh that just happens to skylines with the power fc" which i didnt take kindly since i entrusted my car to him. I came on here "SAU" and found out that the power fc has a boost controller that u can turn off with the hand controller. I did that and BAM! engine light gone...

In all maybe the power fc boost controller and manual boost controller are crossing paths and playing with your boost level? Perhaps disconnect one and see if theres any difference.

Matt

Doesn't the power FC have its own ebc therefore eliminating the need for the manual one? I got my car tuned to 13 psi and i had the power fc and eboost hooked up. The eboost was controlling the boost levels but when i went to pick the car up the engine light was on. The mechanic said "oh that just happens to skylines with the power fc" which i didnt take kindly since i entrusted my car to him. I came on here "SAU" and found out that the power fc has a boost controller that u can turn off with the hand controller. I did that and BAM! engine light gone...

In all maybe the power fc boost controller and manual boost controller are crossing paths and playing with your boost level? Perhaps disconnect one and see if theres any difference.

Matt

maybe he has put the boost controller on the wrong hose.if i was looking in my engine bay what hose should the boost controller be on?at the moment it's on a small hose under the intake.

Matt

The PowerFC Boost control is a separate part you purchase (the solenoid).

Its the same thing that the Apexi ACV-R uses.

So you need to actually purchase the solenoid separate, and then install it.

It doesnt come with the PowerFC itself

The PowerFC Boost control is a separate part you purchase (the solenoid).

Its the same thing that the Apexi ACV-R uses.

So you need to actually purchase the solenoid separate, and then install it.

It doesnt come with the PowerFC itself

na i dont have pfc boost controller just one of those GFB ones.