SAU Community

R33 Rb30 Conversion

JNR24

for the 32 and 31 owners...

what are the legalities in respect to displacement increase?

i know this was discussed by the 33 owners but i am concered that upgrading from a 2L to a 3L may cause problems...

does anyone know information about this, specifically for QLD?

If you are concerned don't do it.. Ring your local motor reg.

Read back and there is a small section regarding how to possibly get around this issue. Remember most mods are illegal.. Hell in SA even a Pod is illegal.

Hi Guys, R31's come with 3 litres, so I don't think that's a problem. R32's come with 2.5 and 2.6 litre engines, so I don't believe 3 litres (20% & 15% increases) would be a problem either. R33's with 2.5 litres and 2.6 litres are certainly not a problem as there are a number of 3 litre ones already registered.

Previous experience with non Skylines in a number of states, is that the rego authorities base their capacity increase calc's on the largest capacity engine available in that model. For example I have registered a 5.7 litre Commondoor that originally came with a 3 litre, because there was a 5 litre available.

I would suggest that you check this with your local authorities.

Hope that helps.

I was told the same about motor size in qld, that it is based off the largest engine fitted to the vehicle, thus an R32 came with a 2.6l, so you should be fine. I *think* that you can have a 50% increase in capacity (it's been a while since i checked it out) thus a R32 could go up to 3.9L.

However you would need to have the brakes and suspension of that larger engined model (ie, a 32 GTS-T would need 32 GTR brakes and suspension *or* something deemed equivalent or greater by an engineer.

However, apparently the strict letter of the law (in QLD) is that any engine conversion is only allowed to have 10% more power than the original engine in that vehicle. I was also told however that as the dept of transport / inspecting engineer doesn't actually do before and after engine dyno runs, there is really no way of them knowing if you meet this requirement, and as long as the conversion is properly engineered (once again deemed by an engineer), then the modification will most likely be approved.

Yeah, it's a pretty silly law, and impossible to police, which is why i think they don't bother. As if you could reasonably expect anyone to do an engine conversion for a 10% power gain... maybe thats the idea, to stop people doing conversions...

What is the power rating of RB30 to RB20/5/6? Would a twin cam head on the RB30 be taken into consideration as it isnt a factory fitting, so perhaps in theory you could use the power rating of the RB30E as a compro for registation purposes?

I'm not sure how much detail you have to go into to actually get the mods approved (i shall find out in a few months i guess), but i think it is mainly at the discretion of the inspecting engineer. Basically if they deem the mods to be safe, ie structurally sound, and not impeding any of the safety systems of the car, then there shouldn't be too many problems.

The RB30DE Makes around the same power as a RB20DET and thats with a low 8.3:1 cr in the non turbo motor. So approx 150-160kw at the flywheel for a RB30DE. Thats the same as a Stock VS V8 5ltr.

According to a conversion done that was in one of those zoom mags.

I seriously doubt that it is only a 10% power gain as when i fitted my exhaust i picked up around 15-20%.

my HR31 came from factory with an RB20det... so would it still be classed as an R31 with the largest engine capacity as 3L

also does the RB20det runners and plenum bolt straight on to the RB25 head.. if so this would give a "stock" RB20det look

Joel, do they require dyno printouts for engine power, or just work off what the factory rated the engine at when new?

where did you get he power figures from, the 5L figure seems a bit low, as the ford 4L puts out about 180odd kw.

Hi all

Joel the exhaust was tight but because i only have a rear muffler it bolted up without hassle ,its quite tight to the floor and knocks on the floorpan when the car is started ,will be changed soon as the things too bloody loud and the police can instant off the road for loud exhausts in NZ now!

GUYS

regardless of weather you want the VVT you dont have an option , as the RB30 block has only 2 oil feed ports to the head (the RB25 has 3) you have to supply oil to the inlet Cam front bearing Journal and the only way it can be feed is via the vvt Gallery, even with after market cams .

cheers

Originally posted by Steve

Joel, do they require dyno printouts for engine power, or just work off what the factory rated the engine at when new?

where did you get he power figures from, the 5L figure seems a bit low, as the ford 4L puts out about 180odd kw.

Regarding the first question.. I have no idea who they is :(

That is the new ford 4l that puts out that much power.

We are talking back in the days of 1992+ when the old holden V8 5ltr EFI was around. When I looked up the specs for the standard VS 1996 exec 5ltr manual commodore it said 165kw I think actually .... but yer 160kw close enough. They only pull 110rwkw stock so the R32 Skyline pulls roughly the same.

Originally posted by -Joel-

Regarding the first question.. I have no idea who they is :(

That is the new ford 4l that puts out that much power.

We are talking back in the days of 1992+ when the old holden V8 5ltr EFI was around. When I looked up the specs for the standard VS 1996 exec 5ltr manual commodore it said 165kw I think actually .... but yer 160kw close enough. They only pull 110rwkw stock so the R32 Skyline pulls roughly the same.

you said that you seriously doubt the power gain is 10%..... that was in reference to the lisencing of an upgrade engine??? (sorry if I interperated this wrong) - they are the licensing dept.

My 98 ford had from memory 184kw stock - 4L, that is what the factory rated them to the predecessor had something like 168kw. Even the blown v6 that commodore release was well above 160kw, just wondering where you looked up the specs, becuase it seems weird that holden would rate their 5l below fords 4l and their own 3.6 with supercharger.