SAU Community

Skid Pan Days In Gympie

psi

3intheback and I run skid days at our local skid pan here in gympie!

We run 4 days a year and anybody with boost is welcome! we have restricted car numbers to 16, which means LOTS of track time. u get a FREE BBQ lunch and FREE drinks ALL day!

All enterants get 4min at a time on the skid pan to drive as mild or wild as they see fit, as long as all the basic rules are adheared too. We have a tech session where enterants gain information from our sertified instructor. the instuctor is also know for his driving passion and has competed in many different forms of motorsport.

A typical day runs like this:

Free time, skid / slide session

Quick tech session

circut and track work

tech session

More track work

timed event

free skid / slide session

We have lunch on the run to maximise track time..

Anybody interested, PM me or PM 3intheback!

Any thoughts.. :laugh:

Edited by psi

Hi Aaron

I'm actually in the process of drumming up interest for an SAU Qld members-only event at the Gympie Skidpan facility already :laugh: lol

Sounds like it's the same or very similar to what you've mentioned here.

For those who are already members but may not have seen the thread, it's here. (SAU Qld club members only)

Cheers

Marc

I attended an event like that at Gympie skid pan when a toyota club held a day there...it wasnt very good. The people running the show didnt like you drifting or mucking around even if it was safe and non-stupid. It was timed events around witches cones in the wet. They said you can do what you want and have fun, but as soon as you did they wanted to kick you off the pad. Plus there was too many toyotas there at any one time for my liking.

But if this is organised by a different company it could be really enjoyable.

There have been many different 'clubs' use the skid pan here in gympie. Unfortunatly not all of them take the approach we do!

If u come to a skid day though us, well lets just say if u dron't burn at least 1/2 a tank of fuel u didn't drive hard enuff! Under the Roadcraft rules we are not allowed to drift.. HOWEVER, we do lots of powersliding and throattle oversteering and hand brake turns and such.

The cost is $100. we cannot make that any cheaper because of the cost to hire the skid pan is fixed. For that, u and ur partner/ mechanic get free BBQ lunch and drinks all day. We also run a small compitiion in the arvo so we also have some car oreited prizes.

I drive my R33 on the limit most of the day, i often burn MORE than 1/2 a tank. As do the other drivers. Because we have small numbers, U GET HEAPS OF TRACK TIME!

Any thoughts... Feel free to PM me :D

hey when was the last time you did one of these events

i would be carefull, as roadcraft have made us get our own insurance, which will cost more on your behalf, and means you will need cams or aasa, which means a licence is needed. so more cost involved, i would be enquiring this information, as we just went through all this. and they pulled the pin on covering us, and made us get our own insurance.

I attended an event like that at Gympie skid pan when a toyota club held a day there...it wasnt very good. The people running the show didnt like you drifting or mucking around even if it was safe and non-stupid. It was timed events around witches cones in the wet. They said you can do what you want and have fun, but as soon as you did they wanted to kick you off the pad. Plus there was too many toyotas there at any one time for my liking.

But if this is organised by a different company it could be really enjoyable.

Michael,

As a person who has spend a significant amount of my own personal money ensuring that our "Motorkhana" events are both enjoyable and low cost to the public to enter, I take particular offence to your statement above!

Our "Club" has been managing these events for some 15 years now and we have made ourselves available to other clubs so that they could enjoy the day and not have the concerns with running such a day. The cost per person for entering our events has never cost more than $25 per entrant! Significantly cheaper than your planned event(s)

I manage the events as per Roadcraft Driver Education requirements, and now, our Insurer's requirements also. Under the rules of hiring the facility, Roadcraft stipulate that all the hire is for the skid pan only, there is to be no track work and no drifting.

As much as personally would like to see these rules changed to suit the wants of the many, it ain't gunna happen buddy!

Be aware that Roadcraft are also finalising new agreements for the hire of their facility.

Play smart or go home!

I have made significant inroads with Roadcraft Driver Education to try to build more events and hopefully, better facilities for the near and medium term future ........... and I will continue to work towards getting us all a better deal as far as having a suitable venue is concerned. My club has gone and purchased a $3,500 shade sail which will eventually be errected on site so that people like you are also able to sit in shade!

I am working with Roadcraft Driver Education to try to get a spectators mound ............. improvements with water and so on...... WHAT ARE YOU DOING???!!!

DON'T use this forum as a venue to bad mouth other clubs, it's bad form!

I am the person working with CAMS, ANDRA, AASA, ASMF, and several other bodies to try to get a better deal for all queenslanders, since there is nowhere north of Brisbane that is open to enthusiasts so that we can drag race, drift, circuit race and so on.

Sorry, what is it that you are doing for Motorsports in Queensland???!!!

A simple apology would be appreciated, then maybe you can come and talk to me and be a part of the solution, not another thorn in the side of those of us who are out there doing the hard yards .... and by the way, I don't get paid for any of the work I do as stated above, I do it for the love of motorsports.

Your choice.

Daryl Martin

President

Cooloola Car Club Inc.

A copy of this has been posted on our forum also with a link ..........

i am not bad mouthing any body, or any club. I have not interest in that sort of thing. We abide by Roadcraft rules, and insurance. Our primary aim is education.. we don't portray ourselves as motorsports guys.

as for the price.. like i said, we limit the cars to a MAX of 16 cars. That ensures plenty of skid time. If we were to take a lot higher number of cars, everybody would get a lot less time on the skidpan.

I personally prefer lots of track time, so thats what we aim for. If a club wants to have 50 or more cars, good for them. But it isn't the approach we take. We aim at education, sharpening ur skills, changing ur mindset, encourage u to drive ur car in a safe invironment, in a safe way to increase your understanding of what you and ur car are doing.

We do not do motorkhana's, our timed event is to simply practise your new skills. it just a bit of fun!

I hope that settles that.

Any other thoughts..

:)

Aaron,

read the response properly dude ..... I never claimed your comments were bad mouthing my club or any other club .... I certainly do make that claim as CLEARLY written by and about R33 Racer .... Michael

I applaud you and your efforts, I think you are on the right track (pardon the pun) with ensuring your members get additional education ... god knows there are a lot of people out there that could do with the extra assistance.

I will be making an appearance on the day ............... to say g'day and see the quality of your drivers and their rides.

Daryl.

Marc: The link seems to be broken.

PSI and I have been talking with SKA (Moderator of the Stagea Forum) and we are a little way down the track with organising a SAU members only day.

In the meantime we have booked in 4 separate days (bimonthly) starting in March. If anyone would like to come send a PM and I'll send back some details. It's shaping up to be a great year.

I personally have never been to any event at Roadcraft other then our own days, so I dont know what they do. PSI and I run our days the way we like it and I believe you will find them more fun and educational then any defensive driving course you ever done. I have been told by two senior instructors from Roadcraft that our days are organised, run and financed, completely different to other clubs. So some of the issues they (the other clubs) face has not been a problem for us. (just lucky I spose)

They are closed events. That is, we lock the gates once everyone's in so we dont get any Yahoo's poking their noses in. Any problems listed previously in the above posts have not been a problem at our events.

(Although, having gone back over the posts it seems most of the problems are semantic - the wrong choice of words,ie, 'drift' 'track work')

However we do keep it to the rules and unfortunately have in the past asked one participant to leave half way through as they were not towing the line.

You dont need a CAMS Licence.

The event is insured.

Your car insurance will still cover you - mine does anyway (Shannons)

Your car doesnt need to be registered, but it will be scrutineered, and it will need either, boost, grunt and an LSD. Otherwise you'll be struggling all day.

It will scratch your itch to do silly things in your car and at the same time, reduce your urge to do the same silly things on the road.

It will take you three months to get good at the techniques you will be taught.

And finally, you will be too knackered to drive home by days end.

I personally have never been to any event at Roadcraft other then our own days, so I dont know what they do. PSI and I run our days the way we like it and I believe you will find them more fun and educational then any defensive driving course you ever done. I have been told by two senior instructors from Roadcraft that our days are organised, run and financed, completely different to other clubs. So some of the issues they (the other clubs) face has not been a problem for us. (just lucky I spose)

They are closed events. That is, we lock the gates once everyone's in so we dont get any Yahoo's poking their noses in. Any problems listed previously in the above posts have not been a problem at our events.

(Although, having gone back over the posts it seems most of the problems are semantic - the wrong choice of words,ie, 'drift' 'track work')

Warren,

can I suggest that you do come along to other events, maybe you will find something more to offer for your days .... after all, we are all looking for ways to improve what we do, I am sure that this would also include you and Aaron. No good closing your eyes to other possibilities :laugh: .

We are holding our Motorkhana on March 25th if you would be interested in coming along.

I sure hope that your comment about "Yahoo's poking their noses in" does not apply to my presence .......

Like I said earlier ..... I look forward to coming along to this and having the opportunity to observe and to look for possible improvements that will be suitable for our events too. :yes:

I am happy enough to discuss this further in PM if you wish, or we can certainly make arrangements to meet over coffee in town to get a better understanding of each other and our involvement with such events.

Daryl.

If you do actually help the motorsport situation in qld then good for you and id be grateful towards you for it. I only attended the event with a friend because he wanted me to come with. I already race in aasa and cams events....ive never been a fan of motorkhana events as such...but hey i went and gave it a try and it was not how i expected it to be. The last skid pan event i went to was at Mt Cotton before they made all the new changes, so i guess my expectations were abit high.

I apologise if you took what i said the wrong way. My personal experience with it will be different to the next guys one, but the fact that i didnt enjoy it as much as i thought i would doesnt mean im bagging you or your organisation. But what from psi was saying they have a day with more drift like stuff going on which was more what i was expecting it to be like and it would probably be a good day.

If i had more freetime to help out with motorsport I would, but working in a family business means very long days and hardly any weekend time to do what i want, plus working on our race car. Im flat out trying to attend cams, aasa and short circuit meetings.

Good luck with your work up there. Hopefully one day the events will be how everyone wants them to be.

Just so everybody understands,

3intheback and I are running this day off our own bat. This is not an exclusive SAU event, we are busily talking with the moderators to have an exclusive day for SAU! We ran 3 days last year and were are huge hit with all drivers. So i think we are on the right track.

I posted this thread to encourage anybody who likes to do this sort of driving to come and some legal fun. We are aware that not everybody likes to drive like this.. But we love it!

This will be the first skid pan day for this year, with 4 more to follow. If the date doesn't suit, maybe later in the year would be better.

We will gladly welcome anybody who wishes to come play for the first time.

Any other thoughts.. >_<

That's just a very small snipet of a normal day!

I have to thank Leigh (the supra owner) for the DVD!

Any other Q's, please PM me or 3intheback!

:laugh::):wub::wub::)

• 2 weeks later...