SAU Community

Dangerous power cut/jerks during WOT + high boost

ARGH34

I will try...btw is yours a manual or auto?

not that I can think of a valid reason why an auto would have an 8000 redline...yours must be aftermarket - or at least partly.

Does you speedo go to 180km/h? Or higher? This automatically indicates it being aftermarket.

/tries to wait patiently :D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It goes to 180. On the tacho, theres minimal markings for 0-1000rpm, a couple of markings 1000-2000rpm, then the rest goes up to 8000, when the writing becomes red.

It'll be easier just to post the pic :D

My dash is different to yours - I don't have the separate round gauges for my speedo, tacho, fuel and temp. Its just all one piece.

Yes - just post the pic :)

It is starting to sound like a Tommy Kaira one, well almost, kinda, maybe...but its definately aftermarket of some sort.

I am interested even more to see it now! I have seen a few different ones for the 34 but not yours [i dont think anyway].

Oh wait, my bad :D

It does have the round gauges, but not the separate round inserts where your "km/h" and "x1000rpm" are written. and my fuel and temp gauges are slightly different too.

Oh the gauges on my dash are in reverse order to yours. Mine are temp, tacho, speedo and fuel from left to right.

I'll be taking the pic tonight or tomorrow.

Do you think you can take a pic with ignitiion 'half-on' so that all your lights turn on too? That way I can compare the lights as well.

Its running all good now :( except tops out at 0.4 bar which is too low.

Got my steering fixed sorta... clever guys fitted R33 bushes which are rotatable and they adjusted the caster of my front wheels to compensate for the left radius rod being pushed forward due to car crash by previous owner.. (dunno if that all made sense). Still kinda steers to the left a bit, but hard to tell though because most open roads are crowned and slope to the left anyway.. And the alignment guy says that coz I have rock hard bilstein coil overs, even the slightest slope in the road will cause the car to steer in that direction.. I have no idea hey.

But back to the topic, the car boost fine and runs smooth all the way to 7000 cut out.. :D

I do have a quick question though. I have an Apexi RSM with G-sensor, and its has the power measurement function. The best power I've been able to get on 0.4bar is 155kw at around 6600rpm usually (usually tops out around 147kw during the day, but its been bloody cold lately and been able to get some nice numbers at night).

Is this power measurement at the wheels or at the engine? I'm thinking it has to be at the wheels, becuase 155kw at the engine is pretty pathetic right?

Hows this power output rate in terms of a stock RB25DET Neo with exhaust and filter running 0.4bar?

Haven't tried a 0-400 run on the RSM yet, will do when I find a nice straight (and non-slopey) piece of tarmac.

Will email you the pic real soon eh NismoR34 :(

no probs ARGH34.

I dont know how accurate these meters are mate but 155kw - would be at the wheels and actually sounds about right considering the mods and boost level. A stock 34 gtt registered 160kw at a recent dyno day [dyno dynamics brand dyno]. Mine with pod/exhaust/boost mods got 182kw.

/waiting for piccy :(

Sometimes I run 10-11 psi, but currently I have it down to stock, too many accidents lately in the wet [other people]. When its dry I put it back up :P So anywhere from 8-11 psi is what I run.

Although my stock boost guage is not accurate, I should get an aftermarket one. These figures are a bit of guesswork based on my boost level from dyno day [182kw @ 10psi].

A lot of people say that an increase of 2-3 psi shouldnt cause any serious problems for a turbo / engine. Even less of a problem if you have a front mount or POD for cooler / better intake flow...

Sorry, yeah I did get the pic.

Doesn't look like any other 34 dash I have seen. But it still looks factory, which I think you said yourself earlier - weird!

Your fuel and temp [coolant] gauges are opposite to mine and so is the speed / tacho. You still have the 180km/h speedo so it wouldnt be aftermarket cause they are 300km/h generally.

What year was yours again? 98? maybe there was a change?

The only other thing I can think of is that you may have a model designed for intl market such as NZ or the UK? But looking at a skyline brochure from nissan nz, dash looks like mine...trying to find pic

found a pic, this is the nissan NZ auto 34 gtt dash - takes a breath: you can see the tacho on the right of the speedo, like mine. Assassin on here has an auto 34 gtt but i dont remember what his dash looks like. they are generally a bit different in COLOUR to ours, like the steering wheel the dash also has some silver in it...

• 3 weeks later...

ARGH34,

It would appear that your dash belongs on the GTR, as the GTR redlines at 8000RPM, and according to the Skyline manual, your dash is the same as the GTR's. I have a '99 R34 GT-T and the dash is the same as the stock one NismoR34 has.

• 7 months later...