SAU Community

New Laws About "p Platers" & Power To Weight In June 07?

Ricos

apparently in June some new law is coming in that P platers driving cars that are over the power to wieght ratio (EG: r33 gts-t) can get fined, like they can now, but also run the risk of getting the car taken off you if it happens more than once.

a guy from work told me this, i said its always been illegal for us P platers to drive gts-t r33 skylines and we always run a risk of getting fines, but he seems to think they actually CAN and are going to have the power to take the car from the owner if it happens more than once, and also insurance companies are going to stop giving P platers insurance if they drive cars that exceed the power to weight ratio....i dont see why they would do this now but could anyone clarrify if this is true or the guy at my work is just retarded....

has anyone heard or seen anything like this in the paper or on the news?

cheers

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was kinda waiting for your reply Nismoid but i expected it to be more informative as your the man with all the answers usually

oh well im sure it will be floating around the media somewhere sometime soon if its true

cheers

Please contact the appropriate Victoria Police Rep for your query if you want 100% clarification on the matter of whats going to be enforced/how

I would not be surprised if it happened, it would be a good thing :laugh:

Please contact the appropriate Victoria Police Rep for your query if you want 100% clarification on the matter of whats going to be enforced/how

I would not be surprised if it happened, it would be a good thing :O

it would not be a good thing. i guess you wouldn't care either way coz your off your Ps.

all these P-plater laws especially the power/weight one make no sence, improve nothing, and are extremely pointless.

but hey as long as they make some bux of it....

don't mean to start anything :thumbsup:

hrmm it says this

"The new high powered vehicle restriction for P drivers will start in July 2007.

What is the new restriction on high powered vehicles?

The restriction will prevent probationary drivers from driving vehicles with:

engines with eight or more cylinders

turbocharged or supercharged engines

nominated high performance six cylinder engines

engines that have been modified to increase the vehicle’s performance.

Offences will attract a fine and three demerit points.

3 demerit points? i have been picked up once b4 and only got a fine, are you suppose to get point deducted aswell or is this part of the "new" law that will apply in 2008?

if its only part of the new law, the document says that people under the old P plater law wont see the effects of this P1 and P2 law

http://www.arrivealive.vic.gov.au/c_youngGLS_7.html

This section says that after July 2007, P platers can't drive a turbocharged, supercharged, nominated 6 cylinders or a car with 8 or more cylinders.

I haven't heard of them being able to take your car away though.

Cheers

Edited by Ricos

was kinda waiting for your reply Nismoid but i expected it to be more informative as your the man with all the answers usually

oh well im sure it will be floating around the media somewhere sometime soon if its true

cheers

zomg stop sucking up, like ash said, he may say something and it may be right, them some one else will come in and say something different, and argue with ash, then some one else will come in and just throw a fireball in here to try and get more drama out of it.

I beleive the most appropriate measure would be make friends with all the local police, then u will only get dicked if ur doin something more stupid. Ie burnouts, power slides etc ...

In all seriousness though ... call up the local police station and just query them, they dont have to know who you are ... your just a citizen trying to find out your rights and the current law.

i believe they must have either made a mistake or have changed it, but when these laws were made in 2006 they said the high powered vehicles (eg no turbos, superchargers etc) was to be instated in july 2008, not july 2007, i knew the staged probationary license syste was starting 2007, but things like the 6 month begining passenger restriction and the no turbos etc was 2008.... want to find this out, because i want my girlfriend to be able ot drive me around in my car lol... that wont happen if they come in july of this year :thumbsup: hahah

it would not be a good thing. i guess you wouldn't care either way coz your off your Ps.

all these P-plater laws especially the power/weight one make no sence, improve nothing, and are extremely pointless.

but hey as long as they make some bux of it....

don't mean to start anything :thumbsup:

yup ur correct, because giving a p plater a 350kw car means they can handle things in sticky situations.

yes, u can lose control in a low powered car, generally its alot easier to correct or stop it.

high powered cars tend to rev alot easier, once things go outta control and therefore make it a more unstable condition ... especially in the wet.

personally ... i think at least the first 12 months there should be laws to stop ANY modification to a car, and it would have to be a gayly underpowered car ...

i know if i had my 2nd car as my first car, it would of been into a pole, just because of my inexperiance ... i dislike people that think they are top drivers, and yet are aweful/inconsiderate drivers.

yup ur correct, because giving a p plater a 350kw car means they can handle things in sticky situations.

yes, u can lose control in a low powered car, generally its alot easier to correct or stop it.

high powered cars tend to rev alot easier, once things go outta control and therefore make it a more unstable condition ... especially in the wet.

personally ... i think at least the first 12 months there should be laws to stop ANY modification to a car, and it would have to be a gayly underpowered car ...

i know if i had my 2nd car as my first car, it would of been into a pole, just because of my inexperiance ... i dislike people that think they are top drivers, and yet are aweful/inconsiderate drivers.

niether of mine are in poles yet, first and second cars :thumbsup:

... i just jinxed myself for sure!

wasnt sucking up, was just expecting some sort of answer and he gave me one which is fine. but i feel kinda let down :thumbsup:

ohh well

ill call the cops see wat they have to say to me

PS . does anyone here no if your meant to loose points if you get picked up driving a car that exceeds 125kw per tonne? has it happened to any one you know?

i got picked up , fine but no points

cheers

Edited by Ricos

Fark dude, i dont know everything about every law :thumbsup:

The P-plate laws are the ones i dont know much about as they dont concern me.

As it stands, once they bring in the 3 Demerits for the Overpowered car, then your basically stuffed.

If thats in 2008, then thats when it is.

Remember, you can only have 5 demirts in any 12 month period.

So if you get pinned for over-powered - 3 points.

Then you only need to get pinned once more and your license i think is taken for a month (or maybe you get the options letter)

Second time i believe is 6 months.

Either way, once the demerit scheme is applied to banned cars.... the amount of people loosing thier plastic will go up.

And once Police know you can be pinned hard for it, they will go every R33 P-plater on the road as they become the easy target (more so than what they are now)

PS . does anyone here no if your meant to loose points if you get picked up driving a car that exceeds 125kw per tonne? has it happened to any one you know?

Its just a fine at this stage and nothing else. Hence everyone still does it.

However, as linked above... demerits come into play soon enough.

Thats when people will pay attention to the law i can assure you

engines that have been modified to increase the vehicle’s performance.

Now thats new and exciting...still could be worse don't they have some super restrictive legislation in the U.K, 1 or it might be 1.3 ltrs and thats it for p's.

Today i'm happy to be an Old Bastard, shit when I started out, no speed cameras, red light cameras, booze buses.....shit they didn't even have breathalizers let alone roads side swab tests for drugs. No vehicle restrictions what so ever.

Biggest difference is back in the day you'd have to spend big $$$ to get your average Aussie v8 to go about as hard as your stock straight out of dads garage v6 commo of today.

So apart from hardcore knobends like myself you wouldnt see many burnouts or genuinely quick cars in the burbs unlike today where any kid with $1500 can buy a v6 commo and pop a set of tyres every night if he wants. Look at the rubber layed down in most suburbs nightly, it's a disgrace!

So although we had it easy in a lot of ways the cars of my day really sucked ass, but petrol was almost free it was so cheap so..........

• 1 month later...

Hey all, just to clarify this matter for use all... I happend 2 get pulled over not even an hour ago in my R33 by a TMU officer, M. MOOHAN a senior constable from Fawkner. Anyways... he said 2 me that out of the factory my car is illegal due to power to weight ratios... $112 fine and not allowed to drive until fully licenced. Stock out of factory i said?.. hmm.. doesn't my car weigh 1500kgs and have 187kw... do the math and that = 124kw per tonne!.. UNDER THE 125kw limit. Yet my rego specifies that it only weighs 1400.. hmm. dunno wtf is with that? Out of factory you might say.. which means no petrol no water no oil and overall less weight etc etc.. but i'll be damned if u can drive any car out of the factory without petrol, oil and water. So I am absoloutely pisst off as to why my car is weighed in by Vic Roads at 1400 and to why i got that fine and can't drive my car until August (when im fully licenced). On top of all this i asked him why and his like don't give me the figures i don't know, all i know is that by the "book / law the rb25det is illegal to drive on your P's, you can put slabs of concrete in the back of your car its not going to make any difference." And i also quote "i'm lucky that their not allowed to give out demerit points for this fine as yet as it's not in the book" or something along those lines.. but yeh.. just for all you peoples info.. im soo depressed right now.. honeslty.. people out there killing each other.. we have no water here in melbourne households yet factories use a million litres a day.. and cops are worried about a bit of power over weight ratio.. omfg wat has this world come to... moses and jesus would be rolling in their graves! (not that jesus was buried but yeh)

Peace out love use all .. mwa!

honestly who cares about these "high powered" laws... if you drive like a normal human being and dont b a spastic u wont get caught or lose ur car or anything... you might cop the odd fine and cop too much attention but ull get used to it..

i sit at the lights... car having some loud gay lumpy idle due to my almost dead engine and straight pipe from the cat.. the cops look. see im going home from work and jus sitting there, they move on.. Dont look suspicious just be normal...