SAU Community

Engine Bearing Selection

GTR-Dad

Hello All,

I'm in the process of building an RB26 with the intention of making a daily driver and weekend track car with about 450 rwhp.

Mods include:

JE forged pistons

Carrillo H Beam rods (overkill, but better too much than too little)

Jun 264 9.7 mm cams

Adjustable gears

Metal gasket set

Apexi Power intake

Garrett GT2860R - 5 turbos

Tomei dumps

Aftermarket downpipes, not sure on diameter

3" exhaust

Supporting fuel supply mods...

I've heard good things about ACL bearings.

Question is, for my application should I be looking at the Race Series, Duraglide, or Aluglide bearings? I like the idea of the Calico coating. Any negatives?

Many thanks in advance.

Dan

450 hp isn't really _big_ horsepower.

Reading manufacturers' info on bearings has made me think the Race Series will be strong, but not particularly tolerant of contamination. I'm looking for a reliable mid-power Rb26 and need some experienced voices on the power level you can run on the Aluglide bearings.

Are they really more durable, or is just something the manufacture says to keep selling them?

Thx,

Dan

bit off topic, but with those jun cams have you had to upgrade your valve springs and re shim the clearences?

The clearances will be shimmed to spec, but I'm not planning to upgrade valve springs. Good question though. I'm going to find out _before_ I fire up.

Dan

i have acl race bearings there sweet

Sinista,

Glad to hear they work well for you.

What power level have you been running for how long?

My only concern with the stronger bearings is that they may not be as durable. As with everything else in this game, you need to either try it yourself or find someone who's been there!

Thx,

Dan

The clearances will be shimmed to spec, but I'm not planning to upgrade valve springs. Good question though. I'm going to find out _before_ I fire up.

Jun recommends upgrading spring at lift of 10 mm or greater.

Mine are 9.7 and the advice I've received is to happily use the OEM springs.

Cheers,

Dan

ACL is making Nismo bearings, that should be enough of a recommendation. If not, Sainty's top fuel car is also using ACL race series.

Thx for all replies.

I understand the race series is not as wear resistant as the lower strength alternatives, but above 350 rwhp the strength is necessary.

ACL race series with Calico coating it is!

Cheers,

Dan

I have always used ACL race series. There isn't really a "strength" difference. A bearing is not going to break in half, the difference is in the coatings and finishing off of the shell.

I think from memory on the race series boxes it actually describes the different finishing off process.