SAU Community

RB20 rebuild with more C/R

blind_elk

I'm thinking of rebuilding my old RB20DET block. I don't want to build it for mega kw, just stuff like balancing everything up. But I need at least 1 new piston - the original piston has a big chunk above the top ring land missing.

Also thought, though, about getting a bit more compression out of it. I've read somewhere about using 4AGZE(?) pistons when building a RB24. Is this correct, and will they simply 'bolt on' the the RB20 rods. The appropriate bore will give the increased C/R I'd be looking for, I guess. (I don't want a RB24 though)

Could use RB20DE pistons, but that engine runs 10.2 C/R. Any other way to increase C/R without major re-working of all the internals?

Thanks in advance.

Someone must know.

Meantime, I did some rough calcs. I believe the pistons to use are 80.5mm. My rough, non-engineer, non-mechanic, non engine-builder calculations suggest the the C/R will rise to 9:1 using these pistons.

Basically:

std swept vol = 333cc (78 bore, 69.7 stroke)

cc vol (at CR=8.5) = 44.4cc

new swept vol = 354.7cc

new CR = 9 ( (354.7 + 44.4) / 44.4)

Final capacity = 2128cc

Boring the engine will make it even MORE over(?) square - bore : stroke increases (already > 1:1). This would reduce the torque the engine can produce, but would the increased CR compensate?