SAU Community

Rb30e In Z31 Has Anyone Done This Swap?

z31

hi all.

i have a 300zx z31 the engine is all but dead.the engine will cost more then the car is worth to rebuild.

i was thinking maybe sticking a rb30e in it i'm not after power just something i can get parts for at a fair price plus there's planty of skylines and vl commodores around for cheap (not like vg30e that are hard to find then had the sh@t thrashed out of them).

has anyone done this convertion? i know i will have to mod the crossmember/engine mounts,sump and g/box mount and so on i can do all that stuff.i have talked to an engineer and he has no problems with the idea.

my main concern is the ECU will a skyline ecu plug in or has anyone ever rewired a skyline/vl ecu in to a z31 when they have done a rb25/26 det swap to a z31.

thanks.

ps i know you's will say do the rb25/26det swap 1st but at the moment the dollars don't allow that much cost plus the engineers cost.rb30s are cheap i can allways swap it later on or do the top end swap later

• 3 weeks later...

i am in the process of doing a rb20det swap into my z31 300zx you will need to change the sump oil pick up mounts and cross members very hard to find

if your after a running vg30e out of the 300zx z31 i have one

just throw a ctn of beer my way and it's yours

• 1 month later...

You'll need a reverse sump and pickup out of the 200ZR to fit the RB30 in it. Not sure about deck height and how close it will come to the bonnet. There is a custom sump and pickup and cross member I think on boost cruising for sale for $600 (No it's not mine)

• 1 month later...