SAU Community

Changed Plugs, Misfire Is Now Worse!

Noel

Ok i have a S2 R33 GTS-T

I changed plugs to some iridiums heat range 6 which are gapped at 1.1mm...before change (old plugs where original plugs from japan heat range 5) car used to slighty miss on idle but never whilst driving but now it misses more on idle, you can hear it pop & the spark arking somewhere & hesitates from like 4000-5000rpm?

car is std besides R34 cooler & 8psi boost

also where can i get some new coil pack bolts...mine looked dodgy

Edited by Noel

get soem ordinary copper plugs, do a search for what type. Ensure you get the 0.8mm ones and you will be fine.

hehe thanks but i just paid $80 for the iridiums so im not going to go now & get some $3 plugs...old plugs were same gap (1.1mm) so why now is misfire worse?

hehe thanks but i just paid $80 for the iridiums so im not going to go now & get some $3 plugs...old plugs were same gap (1.1mm) so why now is misfire worse?

Hard to say why it didnt before and does it now. a 1.1 gap is big for most skylines. i gues the age of the coilpacks makes it not fire as strong as they should so 1.1 gpa can have issues.

If u dont wanna buy $3 coppe rplugs just re-gap ur new plugs to 0.8 . u should not have to go less than that.

It will fix ur miss.

Did you clean the coils (remove dust, grime, etc) while you had it all apart? Dirty coils will allow arcing of the spark to places other than the spark plug.

well i blew air up where the spring is etc & they looked pretty clean actually but thats about it...i remember some thread about pulling them apart & using sandpaper etc to clean them but could not find it & dont wanna pull coil apart not knowing what i am doing

Edited by Noel

tonight, when its dark, start it with the coil valley cover off and see if you can see sparks arcing from the coil body to the head.

if you can to easy....

if you cant, pull them off and test them and also look for hairline cracks.

good idea...thanks i'll do that when i get a chance...if i can see it sparking then what?

also with the bolts do i have to go to nissan or can i just get similar bolts from hardware etc

Ok i have a S2 R33 GTS-T

I changed plugs to some iridiums heat range 6 which are gapped at 1.1mm...before change (old plugs where original plugs from japan heat range 5) car used to slighty miss on idle but never whilst driving but now it misses more on idle, you can hear it pop & the spark arking somewhere & hesitates from like 4000-5000rpm?

car is std besides R34 cooler & 8psi boost

also where can i get some new coil pack bolts...mine looked dodgy

Hmm, dude i had the missfire problem too when i changed from copper to iridium plugs too. (cost me 80 or so dollars too fk that), but dude as alot have mentioned, regap the plugs to 0.8 with a regap kit, easy as to do, i did it myself.

Theres also a thread for this as well where some have tapped up their coils which i have also tried whilst the plugs were out to regap. My car hasn't miss-fired at all as of yet.

Hope this helps.

m. :laugh:

Hmm, dude i had the missfire problem too when i changed from copper to iridium plugs too. (cost me 80 or so dollars too fk that), but dude as alot have mentioned, regap the plugs to 0.8 with a regap kit, easy as to do, i did it myself.

Theres also a thread for this as well where some have tapped up their coils which i have also tried whilst the plugs were out to regap. My car hasn't miss-fired at all as of yet.

Hope this helps.

m. :laugh:

cheers will def give it a go...regap kit??? cant i just use some feeler gauges & tap etc...

does anyone know where i can find the thread which was about pulling your coil packs apart & cleaning out carbon build up etc?

Cheers!

cheers will def give it a go...regap kit??? cant i just use some feeler gauges & tap etc...

does anyone know where i can find the thread which was about pulling your coil packs apart & cleaning out carbon build up etc?

Cheers!

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...howtopic=140243