SAU Community

Help! Dead Electrics, And Engine Dying

lteh

the other day while driving my car the electrics started dimming including my dash lights etc, head unit turning on and off, power steering gone. finally got to friends house and the car just died. left it for a few hours then it started up again but only to have those doddgy electrical problems again and then when i came to a stop the engine just splutters out and dies (if i dont keep foot on accelerator it will die, but even then i couldnt keep it on for long when i had tried pumping the gas). had to jump the car to get it back to friend house, it starts up fine but will only keep running for a little once the leads are removed, then will konk out again. im totally stumpd on this one help would be much appreciated!!

just a crazy shot in the dark but... get a new battery...

yea, my batt is only 1 yr old.. i thought of that too but why would a dead battery make my engine konk out even after it has been jumped and started running for awhile. like i can get it started no worries with a jumper but then driving for a little while it will die. ive found taht when i use anything related to electrics the rpm drops off and dies. for example pressing the break will cause my engine to die, indicators will cause my rpm to drop off etc. i have no idea with this

ive just limped it home from my friends place where it was, i had to pull over twice and jump it on both occasions cause it just wasnt holding rpm. but then all of a sudden on the home straight it seems everything seems fine eg power steering comes back and on all my electrics come on fine so its sorta fixed itself. however im afraid its just a matter of time b4 it happens again so i need to find out what it is. could it have anything to do with earthing wires or fuses or any of that? i have no clue

Check cabling from the battery and possibly the alternator?? Could be a loose earth somewhere or a failing alternator.. either way if your battery keeps getting drained it will be stuffed and need replacing.

If its something you can't find easily take it to a auto elec or mechanic as you really don't want to start messing with the electronics/wiring if you don't know what you are doing... >_<

man come on... get a new battery...

if your jumping it, then your obviously using the other batteries power, not yours... your battery is f**ked, the cells in it are dead, they can no longer hold a decent charge...

that or the alternator isnt charging it... try a new battery first cause its cheaper...

if theres a loose wire on the laternator somewhere, and your battery is f**ked, as a malfunction alternator will do, then that would explain what just happened... you can run your car on next to nothing if the alternator is running... so if it came back while you were driving, it would have supplied power to everything... i would get it checked out by a friend in the know... it may just be a shit earth wire, where a shop you dont know will charge you $180 bucks or some shit to replace... when a mate will do it for a beer :P

man come on... get a new battery...

if your jumping it, then your obviously using the other batteries power, not yours... your battery is f**ked, the cells in it are dead, they can no longer hold a decent charge...

that or the alternator isnt charging it... try a new battery first cause its cheaper...

if theres a loose wire on the laternator somewhere, and your battery is f**ked, as a malfunction alternator will do, then that would explain what just happened... you can run your car on next to nothing if the alternator is running... so if it came back while you were driving, it would have supplied power to everything... i would get it checked out by a friend in the know... it may just be a shit earth wire, where a shop you dont know will charge you $180 bucks or some shit to replace... when a mate will do it for a beer :D

Just took a look at the car properly today and came to the conclusion that it was the battery like you said. Since its a RACV garunteed batt i call down a racv person and he tells me its actually the alternator which isnt charging whatsoever.

Looks like a few hundred out of the pocket to fix this...

Edited by lteh

Sounds like alternator not charging your battery.

you dont get points for it if you say what it was after the guy said it... :P

And i would probably check the voltage on your battery too... they weren't designed to take that kind of punishment... you may very well need a new one... i would recommend Delkor... lovely batteries :P

anyway, good luck with it mate :(