SAU Community

Gas Smell In Cabin...leak?

For months now I have had to put up with the stench of fuel in the cabin. The smell has gotten stronger and stronger over time. I noticed injectors 5&6 had fuel on top of them a few weeks ago but it hasn't appeared again since.

Does anyone have any idea where the smell could be coming from? Its ALOT stronger when the motor is under boost.

I realise it could be coming from more than one location....

Help please its giving me awful headaches and i'm sure its gotta be bad on fuel economy.

P.S. I started a post at Hybridz.org but didnt have much luck as it seems Z cars have a different fuel system (http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=121589)

Edited by george.bryant

• 2 weeks later...
For months now I have had to put up with the stench of fuel in the cabin. The smell has gotten stronger and stronger over time. I noticed injectors 5&6 had fuel on top of them a few weeks ago but it hasn't appeared again since.

Does anyone have any idea where the smell could be coming from? Its ALOT stronger when the motor is under boost.

I realise it could be coming from more than one location....

Help please its giving me awful headaches and i'm sure its gotta be bad on fuel economy.

P.S. I started a post at Hybridz.org but didnt have much luck as it seems Z cars have a different fuel system (http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=121589)

"environmental gear"..... there's a charcoal filter that runs from your tank to the engine bay and is designed to get rid of fuel vapors in the tank and air from the fuel lines... sometimes mine can get a bit heavy on the fumes.. usually going sideways and running it hard... Just keep an eye on the injectors and make sue you don't have any perished fuel lines.... that can lead to a nasty fire....

have you checked the fuel lines at the tank. Common place for fuel smell

Thats what I was gonna suggest. Also check the boot floor for a leaky seal around the fuel gauge sender.