SAU Community

Another tapping sound!!

HEL-RZA

My R32 GTST has started making a new sound. before there was a slight tapping sound that was coming from under the rocker cover. Now theres a completely different tapping sound thats twice as loud towards the back of the motor but sounds like its not in the rocker cover. also the tapping sound increases with the rpm. im guessing it may be a fouled up injector. can injectors do this?? it has never happened before. what else could it be? i hope its not any engine berings. does any one know what it sounds like when the berings go in a RB20DET???:eek: :eek: :eek:

As the engine gets warmer, does it start to go away?

I had a similar problem in my R31 once, and it turned out to be the exhaust manifold gasket. The gesket broke and air was escaping from the back there.

2 things to check:

- See if there is any black marks from exhaust gases on the firewall

- get someone else to rev it while you put your hand behind the manifold to check for any leaking air. (Do this when engine is cold, b/c the hole will get smaller as the engine warms up...

Let us know how you go..

Zahos

Ive listened to where its coming from and its not on the exhaust side. its more of a tick ...tick ...tick... than a hiss....hiss...hiss.....it seems to be just under where the throttle body is and it dosent stop once the engine has warmed up. it cant be the bigend bearings could it? or could it be the piston hitting the sparkplug??? its got me really worried..

I always imagine the worst when it comes to unknown sounds from the engine.