SAU Community

Starting Issue

Hey guys

I have an issue with the car starting, it turns over but just wont fire.

what ive tried so far is to take plugs out clean and test spark and there is a spark and there is also fuel..

So what else can i check?

currently i do have a suspected cracked ring but i dont belive this would cause all cylinders to not fire.

the car does have an alarm but it turns on and off ok so i dont think its that and i'll only get that checked as a last option.

thanks

john

is there enough fuel and pressure?

Do you have spark at all the plugs, has happen to me run fine one day and be missing on 2 or 3 next day due to dirty plugs?

definaly enough fuel as each time i try and start it the plugs get fuel on them and not to much fuel as i clean them and it still doesnt start

i had 4 brand new plugs lying round that i put in, the spark was a lil weak on the iridiums but with the new plugs it was fine,

i only checked plug 1 spark, ill do a check on them all idividually to double check..

apart from that, any other suggestion?

How long has it been sitting John ? If a while try getting some aero start take the vacuum line from the fpr to the plenum of the plenum side and spray some into the plenum and see how you go !

Peter

Howdy John,

Ok, rough, basic guideline for this sort of thing.

1. Visual inspection - check for things that are out of the ordinary

2. Check all your fuses - in cab and engine bay, replace all that are blown, sometimes some circuits are in wierd places, like the horn fuse might also be for something critical. Also check your battery terminals and make sure your battery has enough charge

3. Check that you have the three things for an engine to run - fuel, air and spark. Check spark on all plugs since they may run individual coil packs/ignitors, just remove the plug from the head and leave it plugged in while cranking, use insulated pliers or such to hold the thread of the plug on the block or engine somewhere to earth it. Use a test light to check for injector pulse, put the light accross the two pins of the plug on the harness side, if it blinks on all plugs that's good. Check fuel is getting to the injectors(you said that it is probably ok), you should be able to smell fuel after cranking too. Make sure that your air intake is not blocked, check filter and try starting with your foot on the throttle slightly to make sure air is getting to the cylinders.

After these easy tests, you're really gonna need a workshop, get someone to have a look at it.

Let us know how this goes and what the problem was if you find out.

Slim

I've a gtt auto and its now having starting difficulties. Initially its was just the wiring to cas which was temporary rewired & after running for about 2 weeks there was problem starting. It cud still start with some diffculty, so got the fuel pump and regulator chged but also unable to solve. The starting diff was then traced to the water temp sensor.

Cold starting is fine but when engine got hot it cudnt start and upon disconnect the plug to water temp sensor the car started straight away. Connect back the plug the engine's still running with the TCS and slip check lites on. There cud be a circuit joinning the temp sensor to the TCS control module which is connected to the throttle flap which wl not open if there's any problem with the circuit.

The engine's EGI wire loom is prbly screwed and have got a new loom on order to try and solve this problem totally.

How long has it been sitting John ? If a while try getting some aero start take the vacuum line from the fpr to the plenum of the plenum side and spray some into the plenum and see how you go !

Peter

hey peter

it hasnt been sitting long at all, just over night..

I tried the aero start in the plenum but it didnt work either unfortunatly.

Howdy John,

Ok, rough, basic guideline for this sort of thing.

1. Visual inspection - check for things that are out of the ordinary

2. Check all your fuses - in cab and engine bay, replace all that are blown, sometimes some circuits are in wierd places, like the horn fuse might also be for something critical. Also check your battery terminals and make sure your battery has enough charge

3. Check that you have the three things for an engine to run - fuel, air and spark. Check spark on all plugs since they may run individual coil packs/ignitors, just remove the plug from the head and leave it plugged in while cranking, use insulated pliers or such to hold the thread of the plug on the block or engine somewhere to earth it. Use a test light to check for injector pulse, put the light accross the two pins of the plug on the harness side, if it blinks on all plugs that's good. Check fuel is getting to the injectors(you said that it is probably ok), you should be able to smell fuel after cranking too. Make sure that your air intake is not blocked, check filter and try starting with your foot on the throttle slightly to make sure air is getting to the cylinders.

After these easy tests, you're really gonna need a workshop, get someone to have a look at it.

Let us know how this goes and what the problem was if you find out.

Slim

hey,

the main fuses i checked but not under the dash, ill check that tonight.

the battery is fine also its only a few months old and when trying to start the car the reds never dim.

1 thing is still havnt done is check each spark plug individualy, last night i put 6 new plugs in so its something ill also do tongiht.

as for injectors i already checked the pulse and its fine and there is a smell of fuel everytime i kick it over.

so i'll do the other test and see how i go.

Hi John

This sounds alot like the thread I did when trying to start my new engine had everything plenty fuel, new plugs, new coil packs, spark was good getting plenty air, timing was write,couldn't for the life of me figger out why it wouldn't start ,so took it to the tuner plugged in his laptop and came up with the 3bar map senser had died plugged in a new one and fired straight away .Now I know you dont have after market computer and stuff but just pointing that with all three which should allow you car to run ,it won't if a sensor has died. if it went from running one day to wont start the next I'd be looking at a sensor somewhere sorry can't be of more help than that but good luck with it

Cheers Peter

How long does it turn over for?

Have you changed anything recently?

Stuffed CAS maybe, very common issue.

What is the "CAS"?

Yeah, it definately could be anything electrical, but it takes a bit of work and curcuit diagrams to work out exactly what is the problem, you wouldn't want to go replacing anything if it wasn't stuffed. Like you said, can get very expenisve.

Anyone know how to change engine tupe under pic?

Edited by Slim Mat

take the plugs out, disable the injectors and crank it over for sometime to allow the fuel to leave the cylinders, then let it sit for abit for it to evaporate... it might not be the cause of the car not to start but it could help things along. sounds to me like its all gunked up..

• 10 months later...
what did this end up being? got a customers car today, same thing. good timing belt, fuel, spark, aftermarket MAP ecu, wont start on starting fluid either??

ended being an HKS camshaft that broke between cyls 2 & 3 and a cpl bent valves. sticking with tomei and jun from now on