SAU Community

Gcg Hiflow Vg30/rb25 Hybrid

My turbo is back up for sale.

It is an R33 RB25 turbo highflowed by GCG. It comes with both the RB25 exhaust housing and a VG30 exhaust housing.

I had the VG30 housing machined and fitted to the turbo by GCG last year, I asked them to look over the turbo and they gave it the thumbs up.

I have owned this for approximately 18 months but it never made it onto a vehicle I own. Previous owner had receipts showing the turbo was highflowed only 3 months prior to me purchasing it.

Why is it back up for sale?

I sold it to a member of these forums, and being the nice guy that I am I gave him a warranty. He decided the turbo was defective and has returned it for a full refund.

Reason?

There is a small crack in the housing on the ring of the wastegate. It was taken to GCG by the purchaser and they called me to discuss.

As it is they said it wont affect performance, but may deteriorate over time. Given this the purchaser decided he did not want it.

He told me GCG offered to fix it for ~$120 if it would make him feel better, but he was not interested. (I assume they would weld it)

I now have the turbo again.

The deal!

I'm not a shop, so from now on there is no refund or warranty. If it was a brand new unused item I would be happy to oblige, BUT this is a second hand highflow built from a turbo that is ~10 years old. I will post pics of the VG30 crack tonight so there is no confusion. I will also post pics of the RB25 housing and a hairline crack (only visible on inside not outside) that also concerned the purchaser, but I believe to be normal in a housing of this age.

The pics

The wastegate crack

IMG_1637.jpg

Rear wheel and housing

IMG_1638.jpg

Compressor side and wheel

IMG_1639.jpg

Pictures of both housings, you can see the size difference

IMG_1641.jpg

Hairline crack on RB25 housing

IMG_1645.jpg

OP6 goodness!

IMG_1649.jpg

Turbo was sold for $1400, given all the f'ing around and the crack in the housing I'm letting it all go for SOLD pending full payment

PM sent.

By the way: Did you copy my Avatar? :thumbsup:

Just to let ppl know. I previously had a similar turbo on my car. It made 270rwkw@15psi, on a rb25 with Tomei cams and head porting. I sold it because i "thought" it was laggy, but after having similar response issues with a HKS GT-RS, i found that i had a restrictive exhaust. So this turbo combo has "similar" response to a GT-RS, but makes more power, at the same psi. The hi-flow is now fitted to a standard rb25NEO and is also making 270rwkw@16psi.

i believe thats what GCG tells us what to expect, but what did this particular turbo make in regards to power on ur car on wat psi and wat mods did u have. A mate had a gcg rb25 (not vg30 rear) and made 235rkw on 18psi or so, as they have very restrictive internal gates. do u have dyno papers to prove the power- do u need cams to rear the 250-270 mark.

i believe thats what GCG tells us what to expect, but what did this particular turbo make in regards to power on ur car on wat psi and wat mods did u have. A mate had a gcg rb25 (not vg30 rear) and made 235rkw on 18psi or so, as they have very restrictive internal gates. do u have dyno papers to prove the power- do u need cams to rear the 250-270 mark.

Hope the same avatar does not confuse you, so just look at the user name.

I also do not know Drew, but just have bought his cooler kit (Transfer of funds complete Drew :thumbsup: )

The internal gate does not restrict power :ninja:, whoever told you that has very little understanding of turbos. A small internal gate will only produce uncontrolled boost creep, because it can not expel gases fast enough thus the turbine spins faster, resulting in increased boost.

235rwkw on a std hi-flow, bolted to a std rb25 is about the limits of this turbo. With the bigger ext. housing, and all the supportive parts 280rwkw (my personal experience) would probably be the max of this turbo. Sometimes a turbo will max out at 16psi, sure an extra 2psi will get you an extra 5kw, but the gain per psi is reduced, thus not worth stressing the engine for 5kw. This is caused when the turbo's efficiency range has been passed, so the turbo creates too much heat, thus reducing the power gains.

Turbo back up for sale, read all about it in the first post.

If you plan to buy it...

Don't agree to a price on the phone and then bust my balls when you arrive at my house.

Don't ask for an unreasonable warranty on a second hand car part.

Do make sure you can afford the item you are buying.

If you want a brand new item with warranty, save up alot more money and buy a GTRS kit or the like.