SAU Community

Skyline Nsw -> Wa

Levi_

Hi, I'm looking at buying an R33 from a complice workshop in NSW and having it shipped here (WA).

I was wondering what the process is in terms of re-registering it? What costs etc.?

If anybody has any information they could give me, that'd be great.

I've tried searching but haven't come up with much info specifically for WA. :D

A friend looked into doing this and it works out cheaper getting the car from Japan and going through complience etc. Its something like $1700 just to bring it here from memory.

first ring TNT or another car carrier

my gtr was complied in NSW as at the time no compliance shops in perth could comply it

once car was in perth it still had to have all stock gear on it for rego

other than that its just like taking any car over the pits to get registered just make sure you have all your compliance paperwork with you.

Been there.

Get hold of a reputable transporter and get a price on shipment. Make sure its full covered road or combo covered road, container train - it will save on damage.

When it gets here you will need a transport permit (~$35) to move it from the depot to where ever.

Need to then go over the pits (another transport permit unless you are organised).

I had mine licensed in NSW on the 3 month dealer short licence which allowed me to drive it around in WA without the hassle of permits. Took it over the pits in Bunbury basically stock [just a Kakimoto Hyper2000 FullMega N1 (gotta love the looong name) exh (which is pretty loud)]. No hassles, but it is a very clean straight car.

I would suggest if it is licensed it may make the boys at the pits a bit more relaxed. A good friendly attitude and all the paperwork in order doesn't go astray.

Good luck

Edited by WRRR

Car comes with NSW rego, so that should make it easy.

The car I'm looking at only has a rather basic after market exhaust and a turbo timer, so as long as there is not major flaws/faults with the vehicle, getting th car over the pits shouldn't be an issue?

How much does it cost to take the car over the pits?

And can anybody give me some info on what is and isn't allowed in terms on engine mods on a car in WA? I saw the list from Vicroads, but obviously WA would probably have some differences.

• 2 weeks later...

mine had to be disconnected to get over the pits and its connected through the handbrake and also through the clutch so car has to be parked in neutral with foot off clutch b4 it activates

• 3 weeks later...

After reading some of the posts above, I'm feeling really hesitant now on a car I have my eyes on over east.

It has a few mods (different turbos, ecu, fmic..pretty much the works though engine is still stock internally) however there is no way I would want (or even afford) to return the car back to stock form just so I can register it in WA.

Anyway, I've got a question which extends a bit further than the one originally posted.

What processes have people gone through to get a modified car from the east coast onto their driveway?

Basically from the moment you saw the car ad (private sale btw), to payment of the car, forms, transportation, permits, rego, stamp duty etc

I just feel slightly insecure handing over for example 20k for a car I haven't seen or driven, nor the owner's face too.

Well my car just turned up today, I picked it up and I have to say I'm in love.

I got it from http://www.aussiecarcompliance.com.au/ through Joel, who was very helpful and understanding.

Basically it went like this:

1. Sent an email to Joel asking what he had in stock.

2. He showed me a very nice black S2 R33, I liked it very much.

3. I I told him I wanted to buy it, so I put a $500 deposit on it.

4. I applied for a rather large loan, got approved and had the money put into my bank account.

5. While waiting for the loan to approve, Joel registered the car and organised to have it shipped over through TOLL.

6. I sent him a very large bank transfer.

7. He took my car to TOLL.

8. A week and a half later, TOLL call me to say my car was ready to pick up.

9. I show TOLL some ID and sign some forms and I now have a road registered (NSW) car in my front yard.

Now, what's left...

All I have to do is take the car into the pits/inspection center within 3 months to have it re-registered in WA. Pretty sure I don't need to take anything off or change anything. It doesn't have any mods other than a turbo timer and some wheels.

Once that's done it'll be all over.

Don't be too worried about paying $20k for a car you've never driven as long as you get it from a reputable dealer who gives a good warranty plan.

Oh forgot to add, don't forget to get insurance sorted before you pick your car up, I only manage to get my insurance sorted the morning before I picked it up because I wasn't expecting it to get here so fast!

Levinet - Did Joel actually import the car for you, or just buy a car from a private seller in NSW ?

I'm very interested in buying a car from over east, as It looks a lot cheaper than buying one here.

Cheers !

Edited by drifitz

Levinet - Did Joel actually import the car for you, or just buy a car from a private seller in NSW ?

I'm very interested in buying a car from over east, as It looks a lot cheaper than buying one here.

Cheers !

He didn't import the car for me. But it was a fresh import, I just happened to be the one who bought it.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but just want to confirm what has to be done to the car for inspection and registration. Does the car actually need to be taken right back to stock like an import or if its registered over east does it just need a basic inspection here to make sure all components are legal in WA?

A mate told me it also needs to go over the pits over east before it can leave, true?

If you're bought a complianced import over east, you don't require to get it complianced again.

You don't require the car to go over the pits on the east coast, as their rules and regulations won't apply to Perth necessarily. Just take the car over the pits when it arrives here. If it passes, you pay all the necessary fees and they whack on some state government plates for you then and there (so I've been told on the phone by Licensing Dept)

A temporary moving permit which lasts 48hrs will need to be arranged when the car arrives to Perth as it becomes unregistered once it lands here. $18 from memory is the cost of the permit, and can be paid over the phone.

from the dealer you bought from

it seems R33 S2 range from 16-19k pending specs

wouldnt it be cheaper to buy one locally?

example

Car 16k

transport 1k

immoboliser $150

6 months WA rego $250

stamp duty $600~

other small fees like temp permit $14.50

pit inspection fees $65.50

thats another 2k ontop of the initial purchase price

plus u can inspect local cars and test drive it

anyways even a highly modified car can pass pits as long as its all legal and secured

eg everything is fitted and plumb back and no atmo shit like wastegate/bov/screamer pipes

A temporary moving permit which lasts 48hrs will need to be arranged when the car arrives to Perth as it becomes unregistered once it lands here.

Uhh don't think so Matty.

Well, the 3 cops which have pulled me up in the months that I've been driving on QLD rego didn't know anything about that anyways.

I've recently brought a car over which has a motor transplant, aftermarket everything, and a cage. All you have to do is the same as you would if you got a yellow sticker.

My car was NSW rego'd so I'm still driving around on NSW plates and rego right now, no fees for temporary movement etc.

I will have to take the car over the pits here I beleive to have it transferred from NSW -> WA rego. Shouldn't be a problem as most things are pretty stock (especially engine wise).

The process was all pretty simple, and at no point was my car "undriviable" or "unlicensed". We'll just have to see how I go when I take it over the pits next month.

from the dealer you bought from

it seems R33 S2 range from 16-19k pending specs

wouldnt it be cheaper to buy one locally?

example

Car 16k

transport 1k

immoboliser $150

6 months WA rego $250

stamp duty $600~

other small fees like temp permit $14.50

pit inspection fees $65.50

thats another 2k ontop of the initial purchase price

plus u can inspect local cars and test drive it

Thanks for the answers people. I know it's much cheaper to buy locally, but not for the car I'm after.. There are plenty of skylines around but none that fit my requirements and I'm not really prepared to import from Japan, although it would probably be cheaper. I suppose its the same kind of gamble you take when compared to importing because it can't be test driven, but I'd rather get a car interstate that has already been complianced and I know is working well (NRMA inspection or something similar) and pay the price for being fussy (or irrational haha)..

I did also read on the DPI website that you need a permit to move the car, and that it can only be moved to inspection workshops or to licensing centres because registration becomes invalid. DPI says you have 3 months to get your vehicle registered in WA after moving it from over east (but you still need a permit to drive it). Then again you see people all the time driving on different plates so who the hell knows!

Edited by brynj

AFAIK, you only need a permit if the car is unregistered and you brought it over. Otherwise your free to drive around on the NSW rego until it's due. I was told something about only being allowed to drive it here for 3 months, but it's not really something they can check on, it's more a recommendation because it would mean the car is probably going to be a permanent WA car, so it should be WA rego'd.