SAU Community

Hr30 Standard Turbo

machg

Started cleaning up what I think was the original turbo off my former L20ET HR30 Nissan Skyline Passage, and got a shock..."Garrett" and "Made in USA". Is this right? I just assumed the standard turbo would be a Japanese one, am I wrong? There is no sign of significant damage to either wheel, and I am thinking of rebuilding it and using it on a 12A rotary engine. Would it be suitable for this, and will I be able to get parts to rebuild it? Will get some pics on Sunday.

??? sounds like someone already replaced the original one.. cant see mine to check.. why are you taking it off??? you got bigger?? VG30 single is a bolt on..

if its a garrett then parts are commonish. just ask your local/preferred repairer to find out.

??? sounds like someone already replaced the original one.. cant see mine to check.. why are you taking it off??? you got bigger?? VG30 single is a bolt on..

if its a garrett then parts are commonish. just ask your local/preferred repairer to find out.

FORMER skyline owner, short story: R30 blown turbo, R30 replaced turbo, R30 swapped for RX7, Me wanting to turbo RX7 oh look got this turbo sitting around doing nothing...

FORMER skyline owner, short story: R30 blown turbo, R30 replaced turbo, R30 swapped for RX7, Me wanting to turbo RX7 oh look got this turbo sitting around doing nothing...

i have a 12a here, suit rebuild, 200 bucks. pickup only though.

i have a 12a here, suit rebuild, 200 bucks. pickup only though.

Shame I'm in Tassie...c'mon guys, what size turbo is this, (e.g. T02, T03) its a Garrett and has code LF0508 on the compressor housing.

post-11871-1185777905_thumb.jpg

Edited by machg

Hi machg , that is an old world non water cooled Garrett T3 cartridge and typical of what you'd expect to find on an early 80's era Nissan .

If your going to put it on a rotary engine I strongly suggest you fit a much larger A/R exhaust housing because rotarys HATE backpressure and the L20ET Nissan housing would really strangle it .

BTW Nissan was using off the shelf Garrett T3 cartridges and getting turbine and compressor housings made for them . Thats why the comp housing has Nissan on it and the cartridges ID tag "Garrett USA" . Also to set the record straight that series of T3 used the small type T3 turbine not the larger one normally found in USDM T3 based turbos ie Buick Grand National . If you want to measure its OD should be around 59mm whereas the USDM one was around 64mm .

Nissan used their unique version of the T3 flanged T3 turbine housings in A/R ratios ranging from 0.36 - 0.48 - 0.63 .

Off the top of my head I think Z18ET's used the .36 or .48 , FJ20ET's the .48 or .63 and RB30ET's the .63 . I'm not sure about L20ET and L28ET but I'd reckon they would have had the .36 and the .63 .

The L20ET would have been hard to excite given its small capacity cylinders and rather agricultural exhaust manifold . Also most turbo engines of the era had pretty tame (low) static compression ratios because few had intercoolers and manufacturers were struggling to meet NOx emissions caused by higher CR's and combustion temps .

I'd be sticking an RB20 BB turbo on one of those for a cheap solution , same capacity engine in fact same bore and stroke I think .

If you can measure the OD of your compressor which should be ~ 60.1mm and the inducer diametre I should be able to tell you the comp wheel trim - and possibly its part number .

Cheers A .

Hi machg , that is an old world non water cooled Garrett T3 cartridge and typical of what you'd expect to find on an early 80's era Nissan .

If your going to put it on a rotary engine I strongly suggest you fit a much larger A/R exhaust housing because rotarys HATE backpressure and the L20ET Nissan housing would really strangle it .

BTW Nissan was using off the shelf Garrett T3 cartridges and getting turbine and compressor housings made for them . Thats why the comp housing has Nissan on it and the cartridges ID tag "Garrett USA" . Also to set the record straight that series of T3 used the small type T3 turbine not the larger one normally found in USDM T3 based turbos ie Buick Grand National . If you want to measure its OD should be around 59mm whereas the USDM one was around 64mm .

Nissan used their unique version of the T3 flanged T3 turbine housings in A/R ratios ranging from 0.36 - 0.48 - 0.63 .

Off the top of my head I think Z18ET's used the .36 or .48 , FJ20ET's the .48 or .63 and RB30ET's the .63 . I'm not sure about L20ET and L28ET but I'd reckon they would have had the .36 and the .63 .

The L20ET would have been hard to excite given its small capacity cylinders and rather agricultural exhaust manifold . Also most turbo engines of the era had pretty tame (low) static compression ratios because few had intercoolers and manufacturers were struggling to meet NOx emissions caused by higher CR's and combustion temps .

I'd be sticking an RB20 BB turbo on one of those for a cheap solution , same capacity engine in fact same bore and stroke I think .

If you can measure the OD of your compressor which should be ~ 60.1mm and the inducer diametre I should be able to tell you the comp wheel trim - and possibly its part number .

Cheers A .

Thanks heaps for that, from what you (and others) have said, this turbo would be a complete waste of time on a 12A, I'll probably go with a 13B standard turbo of some sort. What is it worth? (given that impellers and shaft play wise it looks good, but needs new seals and wastegate valve and actuator.)