SAU Community

Noob Question

I was helping a friend put a pod on his gtst and at the same time having a look at the differences between his engine and mine. I noticed the obvious, ie turbo, intercooler piping etc, but also noticed this box. It seems semi attached to the intake, but I have no idea what it is. I have attached a pic and circled the box in question.

post-29218-1187655257_thumb.jpg

Any ideas?? Thanks :)

Yea, I've noticed its on all NA's. I would have thought that the intake noise would be louder on a turbo engine because of the forced intake. Mmmmm... getting more confused.

I don't think its something you really need. I've been looking up RB25DE images on google and have noticed that some people who have changed their intake piping have removed it. So what you're saying would make sense.

Can anyone else confirm??

The main reason why I want to know is because I found this intake on the web

er34_sucsyon.jpg

It's actually for an R34 RB25DE, but I was looking for something similar for my R33.

Anyway, this doesn't have the same box, or look if there is any way of fitting it to that box. Also, other RB25DE's that I have seen with similar intake piping don't seem to have this box anymore.

Can anyone else tell me what this mistry box is... thanks :action-smiley-069:

lol yeah my 97 r33 has the mystery box, maybe i should crack it open with a hammer and see what magical mysteries lay within. jk

yeah but please can someone tell us wtf it is, im curious.

its a resonator chamber (box) almost every make and modle na have them, they reduce the intake roar and also accumulate air in the box so the engine wont starve of air waiting for it to suck all the way threw the filter and piping, rumors have gone both ways that it will give less power taking it off then it will give more power different reasons but if you take it off it will sound more of a roar and i thought mine had better responce but i didnt dyno so no clue about power

Yep he's got it perfectly right, its a resonator, it helps reduce intake noise and is specifically designed, "volume" and "shape" to the pulses your engine makes as valves open and close to help smooth the flow of air into the engine and increase power. Removing your standard intake pipe will reduce your power through the bottom and midrange, effectively reducing the area under your power curve and therefore making your car considerably slower when driving normally or at a track.

Almost every late model NA "Japanese" tuned car keeps the standard intake system and only replaces the standard panel filter.

**There is a reason nissan or any other make spend so much time and money in R n D, the facilities, equipment, and time available to them far outways any aftermarket parts manufacturer. Standard stuff it generally pretty good, keep it in mind when u go searching for improvements.

Awesome... thanks for the reply's guys. Learn something new everyday :)

I guess I won't change the intake then... considering the potential loss of power :P High flow panel it is :action-smiley-069: