SAU Community

Has Anyone Driven The Latest Golf Gti

Smurf

Hey guys,

I'm growing up and all that and need to buy a four door car to replace the R33 GTST.

I am not interested in buying another import and don't like the WRX. It needs to be reasonably frugal on fuel but still fun.

So far my readings have lead me to the Golf GTi.

Has anyone had any experience driving one of these?

One thing I don't understand is why the second hand versions are selling for the same price as the new cars even though the wait is no longer 6 months.

Cheers

can't help you there..

I beat one in a stockish RS Liberty if that helps.

i think you "beat" a lard assed early 2000 model..they needed a serious diet and were breathless to boot..

now the current model, thats a spicy little machine..

by the way here, while were on the subject check out the fastest golf ive ever seen..damned thing sounds like an F1 car at times..video is awesome

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/91557/german...olf_iii_580_hp/

Edited by m3gtr

My wife owns one.

It's an EXCELLENT car.

It's rapid, comfortable, stylish, an able handler and it returns excellent fuel economy.

On the weekends when my wife and I go anywhere, we take the GTI, not the R34.

It's a really really good car. I'd buy one again.

My wife owns one.

It's an EXCELLENT car.

It's rapid, comfortable, stylish, an able handler and it returns excellent fuel economy.

On the weekends when my wife and I go anywhere, we take the GTI, not the R34.

It's a really really good car. I'd buy one again.

thanks bass junky.

Until recently I've found it hard to believe fwd cars can be sooo good. I've just had a week with a 206 GTi and it was awesome. If you can live without getting the tail out they can be a great drive.

I'll be testing the Golf this week, should easily outdo the Pug GTi, will be interesting comparison though.

It flies .. I was really impressed with a few mods they hammer.. Sure its not a 2.5L RB but has abit of omph..

Only catch is servicing and cost of parts... apart from that good car..

But how bout a Type R civic? sure its not turbo but nice ride all the same

It flies .. I was really impressed with a few mods they hammer.. Sure its not a 2.5L RB but has abit of omph..

Only catch is servicing and cost of parts... apart from that good car..

But how bout a Type R civic? sure its not turbo but nice ride all the same

i've been thinking about the type R though my significant other insists on a 4 door car. have also been considering Megane 225 however I am concerned about both resale value and quality of product, I have no doubt it is also a fast car.

Not the same as your looking at. But my parents just got a golf 2.0 petrol with the 6 speed sequential box, and it's a pretty freaking sweet car. The quality of the interior and plastics is fantastic, and the build quality is excellent too. Just go into a dealership and test drive one. The current golf range is pretty fantastic in my opinion.

Mazda 3 MPS?

same price (in manual) as the GTi 5-door, but slightly quicker. would probably be cheaper to service/repair as well, but then depreciation might be a bugger

Golf R32 ?

SUPERCHARGE IT!

The GTi is a sweet little package. Famous VW/AUDI built quality, has a better interior than most "luxury" local cars. Comes with a very tunable 2.0FSI Turbo engine, a simple ecu flash would give it almost 120 front wheel kW. But I would not get one after owning a mk4 GTi. A front wheel drive car just doesn't cut it for me anymore. The R32 Golf is in another class though AWD, DSG, VR6 engine! Pity its $57k retail is a rip off IMO considering the Americans are paying only $32000US for one.

Golf GT twincharge?

supercharged and turbocharged?

would be interesting to see how that drives with the supercharger pretty much eliminating lag at low revs, then the midrange pull of the turbo.....

dads lookin for a new car so on the weekend we went to go look at the 2.0L turbo Jetta which has the same engine as the GTI.

well i can tell u it does have balls lol

its pretty quiet and with the dsg box u can hardly feel the box change gears sooo smooooth

oh and if u have the window down with no raido u can hear the turbo spool a lil which is always nice

but yer it was a really good drive...nicest fwd ive ever driven

theyre pretty well built cars to and the 2.0L Turbo Jetta has a fuel consumption of 7L/100km which is pretty good seing its a paetrol turbo and the turbo diesel variant is 6L/100km

However my dad is very indecisive and is test driving every firggin car out there lol

anywhoo the GTI engine is very niiicceeee

Golf GT twincharge?

supercharged and turbocharged?

would be interesting to see how that drives with the supercharger pretty much eliminating lag at low revs, then the midrange pull of the turbo.....

The R32 was never turbo or super charged.

that kit would bolt onto the standard V6 that it comes with.

it still is the best (modern) golf to come out by a long way..

post-33653-1188403026_thumb.jpg

post-33653-1188402935_thumb.jpg

post-33653-1188402982_thumb.jpg

Edited by m3gtr