SAU Community

Exhaust Temp Gauge..............

I'm going to purchase an exhaust temp gauge, but before i do i wanted to know if the sensor is fitted into a factory position or if i have to modify anything to fit it up.

Any help on the matter would be great.

Thanks,

Russ.

Edited by SNISMO

youll need a workshop to drill a bung into the exhaust dump pipe, much like the 02 sensor

theres no factory hole for an EGT, theres one on the CAT but if you are getting a guage i would expect you would want it off the dump pipe

no no. the a egt guage has to be before the turbo. usually in the exhaust housing or rite at its entry.

or if your hard core you have one for each port just at the port exit. having it after the turbo is pointless. may as well have it on the muffler.

In an ideal world right at the exhaust ports is best, followed by at the turbo inlet but normally room is a bit of an issue.

If you are only running one EGT sensor putting it in the dump pipe right after the turbo is fine. Just remember if you are using it to set up fuel via EGT you need to allow for the loss of temp through the turbo.

Been running that way on diesels for years as a guide as to when to back off the throttle.

99.9% of EGT sensors ive ever seen fitted have been in the dump pipe. the one example of not was on an FJ20 were there was one on every exhaust port.

how much heat would be lost between the exhaust port and the dump? most people i know run them after the turbo as more of a just in case rather than for their tuning properties.

i had fitted mine into the stock cat location while i waited to fit up my dump pipe and i read heaps lower than expected.