SAU Community

Alarm Gone Nuts?

madmoomoo

Hey lads and lassies.

Just a quickie: I'm wanting to know ppl's opinions for what i should do. I think my alarm has gone insane, but i can't be totally sure that it's not a wiring related issue instead. Basically, the alarm (according to manual is a Brant Ultima series - either AA02E, AA04V10 or aa06V10) is doing some funny things. The first thing that i noticed is that of late, most of the time when i start the car, the black box starts making a clicking sound (sounds like a relay clicking), which will keep clicking continuously (about 5 times a sec?) for 5-40 seconds (yeah, doesn't sound great to start with). That's pretty weird, but a couple of times it's done something rather unsafe, which is when i'm driving, it will engage the alarm, cut my power and immobilise the engine! Yep, scared the pants off me the first time! I actually thought i had been driving whilst on the turbo timer the first time, but after it happened again twice, I realised it was the stupid alarm's fault!

Aside from this, the external siren had stopped making noise numerous months ago as well, but i tended not to think much of it, as everything else was ok.

Now, my question is this: Firstly, would anyone happen to know what might be causing this? My initial thought was the alarm has just gone bung, but then i thought maybe there's just some funny wiring issues that is triggering the alarm (but i don't know how it could trigger when the car is running though...).

My thoughts for resolution are one of the following: Take car to auto-sparky to diagnose, then replace what's needed, or just go buy a new alarm, then get auto-sparky to rip out the old gear and hook the new one up, presuming that this is the cause.

So do i go to auto-sparky first? Or get alarm and just replace it? (or option c, if anyone has any suggestions for something else I could check??).

Oh yeah, '93 R33 gtst. all pretty stock...

Any help or suggestions would be mightily appreciated.... i'd love to be able to drive around and not have to wonder if my alarm is about to make me into a specticle!

cheers!

If your immobiliser is engaging whilst your car is running it might be the ignition sense wire.. I would suggest going to a car audio place and getting an installer to look at it. Has it just recently been installed or..?

I had a similar problem with my old prelude. Laserline alarm, and you would be driving along and the engine would cut out and I would lose all electrics, indicators and all. Turned out to be a burnt out part on the main alarm board triggering the imobiliser.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...