SAU Community

Going Single

Hey all,

I have recentley been convinced to go single turbo.

I have a few questions on the brand of product, if its the right choice and if anyone has used the new Garrett T51R turbo.

Here's the list of parts

Garretts new T51R 1000hp turbo

86.5mm Arias pistons (will these be ok for around 400kw?

Scat rods

HKS cam gears

Cams (thats where I need you guys)

N1 Oil pump (will these be ok or do I need a JUN?)

Manifold (not sure if I should just used a cheapy or go for something all out? Whats the benefits?)

Turbosmart 45mm progate i think thats what it is.

Tomei metl head gasket

I think thats about it

Any help would be great.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turbo options:

Hmm, At a guess the Garrett T51R would be the same as the HKS T51R but with out the HKS housings. I’m not a 100% on this; maybe Disco can shed some light.

If it is, It has a T 76 comp wheel and old school TA51 turbine.

Still good combos but there are newer more advanced turbo’s out there.

I can think of two straight off the bat. First is the Billet 76-GTS Same comp wheel as the two above turbo’s but with a Inconel GT style turbine and different .75 A/R comp cover with 4” inlet and 3” outlet.

Second is the Billet S75-GTS. The S75-GTS uses the same GTS turbine but has the latest technology ETT comp wheels that have a lower surge limit and wider efficiency range plus flow close to 10Lbs/min more than the T76 used in all the other turbo models mentioned.

I’m running through the Billet range because they are turbos I am familiar with the specs.

I’m sure there are probably other turbo that could get a mention I just don’t know them.

Cheers,

Fantasy.

first things first, u dont need a t51r to make 400kw. a gt3540 will do that on a properly built motor

if ur serious, get that head ported, bigger valves (on the inlet atleast) and some cams and then you wont need to go a BIG turbo (like a t51r) to make the power ur after.

Thanks for the info guys,

Yes I am very serious, the other option was just to go for the TO4Z like everyone else.

Nismoid - I want 400kw + at all 4 wheels, do you think the TO4Z will be ok for this?

What are these Billet (i know that billet is a type of alli) Turbos and who makes them?

ill only say two words (if they are words) to you jippa

GT-RS and GT-RS

BTW we made over 400kw on HKS 2530's but had to squeeze them a little. GT-RS's will do 400 (ours are making 500 at 25psi) walking in the park and still leave you the response of low-mount twins. The person who convinced you of going single is not your friend or your cars.

I already have HKS 2530's but would up grade to these. Is there not a Garrett version as I don't really know what all the hype is about HKS gear.

Would I need to change many of the parts that I already have on my list or will they be ok?

Cheers

PS DiRTgarage the 2wd switch is sweet as, wrecked my balancer over revving it, haha.

I already have HKS 2530's but would up grade to these. Is there not a Garrett version as I don't really know what all the hype is about HKS gear.

Would I need to change many of the parts that I already have on my list or will they be ok?

Cheers

PS DiRTgarage the 2wd switch is sweet as, wrecked my balancer over revving it, haha.

Ill tell you what all the hype is.....HKS 2530's 460 AWKW and 10.3 @ 134 MPH.... HKS GT-RS 490 AWKW @ 25psi and an easy 10.4 @ 137 MPH on 20psi pump fuel. Try doing that with ya garrets!!

our 2530 set up was pretty much the same as your list except we used stock rods and tomei 260 deg camshafts.

the switches are great...i just have to remember to toggle mine back to 4WD when racing as it tends to light the rears up launching 400+kw at 9000rpm.

You're kidding me, you guys need to open up a shop down here so we can get some of that going on.

I have been told by 2 performance shops down here that I will only get around 350awkw going with the setup above using the 2530's I already have.

Was there any head work done?

You're kidding me, you guys need to open up a shop down here so we can get some of that going on.

I have been told by 2 performance shops down here that I will only get around 350awkw going with the setup above using the 2530's I already have.

Pauls - 460rwkw on 2530's wasnt PULP though, so what you've been told is reasonably correct :)

Your run of the mill cars will make 350-370 on PULP, and around 400 on Fuel. Any more than that requires BIG outlay.

The head work, block prep is all a secret art that very few are good at.

From what ive seen lately under testing, you can make over 400rwkw on PULP with the good ole 2530's :D

Thing is though you see, setups like that dont come close to cheap. Whatever you've spent so far, double it.

i would like to see some dyno graphs of rb26's running big single billet turbos
What are these Billet (i know that billet is a type of alli) Turbos and who makes them?

The Blue Wide body 32 Skyline that won the 6 cylinder horse power hero's last Summinats was using a Billet 76-GTS.

A guy over on the Calaisturbo.com.au forums has a single Billet Z-P on a SOHC RB30 making 590rwhp and running 9's in a street VL Calais.

(The Billet Z-P is Billet Turbochargers version of the TO4Z)

I have been using them for a couple of years. Billet Turbochargers spool up fast! :)

The Billet Turbochargers are an Australian brand of ball bearing turbo's built by MR Turbo Australia.

There's a link to there website in my signature.

The Blue Wide body 32 Skyline that won the 6 cylinder horse power hero's last Summinats was using a Billet 76-GTS.

A guy over on the Calaisturbo.com.au forums has a single Billet Z-P on a SOHC RB30 making 590rwhp and running 9's in a street VL Calais.

(The Billet Z-P is Billet Turbochargers version of the TO4Z)

I have been using them for a couple of years. Billet Turbochargers spool up fast! :)

The Billet Turbochargers are an Australian brand of ball bearing turbo's built by MR Turbo Australia.

There's a link to there website in my signature.

You have got me really interested in these turbos, do you know of any cars that have been using the Billet Z-GTP, which is the new version of the Billet Z

What sort of price are these turbos?

Nismoid - I thought that would be the case as you don't see many on those setups on here, everyone just goes the big onl donk of single.

Also while I was doing some shopping does anyone know if I have to get a 86.5mm metal head gasket or is 87mm ok? Plus what power can the standard crank of a 94 32 GTR (i think they put R33 GTR cranks in them at this stage) handle and rev to?

Cheers

We made 404AWKW at Croydon's on pump with them, 467RWKW on VP103 at Powercruise, 460AWKW at Croydon's on C16. So yes over 400 is possible on pump, the head work was only a mild port and knife-edge on the inlet and a quick polish on the exhaust...nothing major.

"The head work, block prep is all a secret art that very few are good at."

I was responsible for the block prep and what was done to the head on our old engine so ill take that above comment as a compliment from you Ash.

We made 404AWKW at Croydon's on pump with them, 467RWKW on VP103 at Powercruise, 460AWKW at Croydon's on C16. So yes over 400 is possible on pump, the head work was only a mild port and knife-edge on the inlet and a quick polish on the exhaust...nothing major.

"The head work, block prep is all a secret art that very few are good at."

I was responsible for the block prep and what was done to the head on our old engine so ill take that above comment as a compliment from you Ash.

Thats why you guys should open a shop down here so us Melbourneites can reap the benifits of your know or can can employ me for a year or 2 to show me the rope and i'll open one up for you.

Can you guys recommend anyone down here thats any good?