SAU Community

Rb20det Help, Oil In Intake?

Hello, I am hoping you all could help me with with this

Here is a bit of background on the engine:

I had this engine installed into a 240sx back in 2004, ran good, no big issues. June of 2006 a girl pulls out right infront of me and thats all she wrote for that car. The engine survived, all except for the power steering pump, intercooler and radiator. It has now come time to put the engine in another 240sx.

I was cleaning up the engine today before I put it in the new car and came across this. Seems to be a good amount of oil in the intake. I dont know if this is normal or not. I know a light film is ok but this is a little more than a film, not a giant puddle but a puddle none the less.

I posted this issue on another forum and was given a possibility of three scenarios:

1- Ringlands are bad

2- Turbo seals are allowing oil to bypass and need to be replaced

3- I need an oil catch can

I can crank the engine over just fine using a wrench if that means anything.

I have never ran an oil catch can with this engine (but I will from here on) and was wondering if a long period of use without a catch can could result in this amount of oil?

What is the most reasonable cause for this?

I really would like to know if this is something I need to worry about because at this point it is the only thing stopping me from putting the engine in the car. I am hoping it is not the ringlands or the seals.

throttlebodyoil.jpg

oil.jpg Thanks for the help in advance

• 4 weeks later...

Had the same problem. . . oil in the intake turned out to be blown turbo seals and the oil in the breather pipes was blown rings from excesive crank case pressure blowing the dipstick out and blowing oil out the breather pipes

go 2 a decent performace workshop, i recomend electronic automotive in epping, 03 9408 8122, get a leak down test done, they will test 1 cylinder at a time 4 compresson, then position each cylinder at a time 2 TDC and with both valves closed will attach a air hose to the spark plug hole, fire up the compressor, if u can feel air blowin out the oil filler, ur rings are stuffed.....