SAU Community

Simple Questions

Hi,

1. Was reading on posts on the forums and some say that they 'boost' there car, whats does this mean?

2. How much was the R34 GT-T original price when it first came out (stock of course)?

3. For a stock R34 GT-T, what car is it compared to performance wise?

Cheers

1. Boost refers to the forcing of air into the engine by means of a turbo... damn that definition sounded good :D Basically boost is the pressure at which the turbo is forcing air into the engine. When people say that they boost their car, it means that they are driving it within the boost range. Driving off boost means the turbo is not spooling and the engine is getting air at atmospheric pressure as apposed to boost pressure.

2. R34 GTT's were never sold in Australia, so if thats the price you're looking for, its not possible. If it was, I'd say it would go for a bit more than the current V35. The only reason I say more is cause of the lack of turbo in the V35. So say $60-70k. Some one can probably estimate better than me.

3. Performance is a very broad term. Supras would probably be similar overall, but you need to be more specific. You could mean track performance, street performace etc etc

Hope this answers your questions

A new gtt in 1999 was 2,900,000 yen or about 34,000 aus dollars, in japan.

A gtr for that year was 5,000,000 yen or about 60,000 aus dollars. v spec add 500,000 yen.

Most people in australia should feel scammed.

I seem to recall reading an issue of Unique Cars back in 2000 or 2001 that had a then-2 year old GT-t in it for private sale. It was yellow, manual with the Nismo Aero Kit and a sunroof and something like 5,000km on the clock, and the asking price was something like $80k.

Interesting considering back then R34 GT-R's were fetching almost $200,000 (from memory, I might be wrong).

Edited by Bluprint

I have price lists for alot of models going back quite a few year, in japan from the dealers. ie no on road costs. Import duty, taxes and fees plus the importer profit = con.

The v spec gtr in 2000 was 6,000,000 yen, the exchange rate was rat sh@t. point is considering cost of living wise 100 yen = 1 dollar, our car prices are very poor. government import duties and taxes protect high production cost in local manufacturing so we pay too much for cars to keep people working for holden in a job.

sorry off topic

Edited by momo

1. Was reading on posts on the forums and some say that they 'boost' there car, whats does this mean?

This can also mean that they've raised the boost past standard levels. eg "I've boosted my car to 10 psi".

good answer!!

:laughing-smiley-014:

1. Boost refers to the forcing of air into the engine by means of a turbo... damn that definition sounded good >_< Basically boost is the pressure at which the turbo is forcing air into the engine. When people say that they boost their car, it means that they are driving it within the boost range. Driving off boost means the turbo is not spooling and the engine is getting air at atmospheric pressure as apposed to boost pressure.

2. R34 GTT's were never sold in Australia, so if thats the price you're looking for, its not possible. If it was, I'd say it would go for a bit more than the current V35. The only reason I say more is cause of the lack of turbo in the V35. So say $60-70k. Some one can probably estimate better than me.

3. Performance is a very broad term. Supras would probably be similar overall, but you need to be more specific. You could mean track performance, street performace etc etc

Hope this answers your questions

Thanks for the replies guys.

So just regarding the boost answer, everytime you accelerate you would be utilising the turbo?

hmm...only AU$34,000 brand new... its either the R34 keeps there value or Japan gets them really cheap. I thought it would be around the $40K mark.

As for the performance quastion, i just want to know what it is compared to on paper (i.e. just looking at the specs what is it compared to without driving it).

Cheers

Thanks for the replies guys.

So just regarding the boost answer, everytime you accelerate you would be utilising the turbo?

Someone beat me down if I'm wrong but, turbos usually kick in at certain rpm's. It can be changed when it comes into spooling up by adjusting the actuator (I think) ??? Something along those lines. So basically, if you put your foot to the metal to the other metal it's going to take off. In general though they don't usually kick in much until you get into high revs.

3. For a stock R34 GT-T, what car is it compared to performance wise?

Cheers

It was supposed to compete with BMW M3 of the same era (E36) in Japan. Both has RWD front Inline six engine layout with similar power to weight ratio. Obviously they are plenty other competitors you could name, Supra, RX-7....

It was supposed to compete with BMW M3 of the same era (E36) in Japan. Both has RWD front Inline six engine layout with similar power to weight ratio. Obviously they are plenty other competitors you could name, Supra, RX-7....

Except around a track the RX7 would own all those cars... Having beaten the GTR on a number of occasions.