SAU Community

All You Spray Painter Experts Out There

Sorry a bit off topic... but they're not fresh plastic, they're painted (copped some second hand ones). So I'd probably follow the same painting technique, or will i still need to use plastic primer?

Nah you don't need to plastic primer them then. If they are still ok, you could probably just give them an 800 wet & paint straight over them. Use 400 wet or just give them a 320 dry if you want to put a couple of coats of primer dowm first, then as above.

"quoteWhy you bother????? Take it to a spray painter and than you can complain about the quality! Do you have decent spray gear and an oven? Preparation of the paint and quality of the paint job is the secret. People which do it every day .... know what they do it. Takes very little to screw it up..big time.

Take my advice, let others do it.

Cheers,

Eug.end qoute"

To any one that is keen enough to give it a go themselves, good on you, the personal satisfaction of DIY is great, even if the job doesn't come out 100%.

To those who just work hard & spend their money to get things done (then complain to the professionals!) , thats fine too.. sure, offer your advice, but don't make sarcastic remarks or bag people out. The guy is asking people who have pianted stuff before some questions.

& yes I am a qualified spraypainter.

Edited by frogman

Just thought I'd share my progress................no painting so far but I did fit the new front bar on. I guess I'll paint it with it on since i'm too lazy to take it off hahahahha

I did a whole DIY on it, should be loaded soon with all the pics.

post-20995-1194163636_thumb.jpg

post-20995-1194163669_thumb.jpg

Hey guys,

I have recent spent 3/4 weeks preparing a trial front bar, m spec side skirts, gtr spoiler, and front right panel (accident damage) including prefitting, sanding and painting. I have never spray painted before with acrylic or two pack. I have realized a few things

1. its great for the challenge and the learning (huge learning curve - if u haven't done it before)

2. I spent a lots of time with preparation..... anyone who is thinking baout painting BE patient!!! - after spraying high build, and sanding, sanding, and sanding (block sander, electric sander, detail sander and blasting with a air compressor to see the rough areas, its was PERFECT than i mixed the paint! tips: FILTER PAPER very important! FLASH OFF TIME very important! prevents RUNS...and CURTAINS!

3. Get a few tack cloths and spend times cleaning like a obsessive compulsive FREAK

4. Professional painters are exactly that...... PROFESSIONALS day in day out......... every day of the working week!

5. u don't save that much......... calculate this:

Mask ~$100

Gun (HVLP) gravity feed ~$140to $200

4 litre kits of primer in two pack ~150 to 200

3 litres basecoat 150

4 express clear coat 120 to 160

sand paper

sanders?

body filler?

prepwash?

tack cloths

I have spent the equivalent to sending it to a shop and in the end! i am going to send it to a shop!

P.S My parts look awesome prefitting but when the colour is off and the clear coat RUNS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I nearly lost it! I AM SENDING IT TO A PROFESSIONAL!

yea it take a lot of time to get it right plus the colour is never right take it to a panel shop to get fitted up and couler matched mush easier and ull get better results

yeah i guess it depends how experienced you are and if you'll ever use the gear again, if you are only doing 1 car it's probably not worth it

i've done 3 cars so far and have another 2 to do(my final two skylines before i get a C35 Laurel), the last two will be black, I'll only use my gear for my new cars bodykit, but it's done me well, plus I use it for jobs round the house, you can use the primer guns for spraying garage doors and the other nozzles for blowing dust out of computer cases, you can also buy impact wrenchs, rattle guns, etc, you can also help your mates out if you wanted to, spray their cars for them, get a few $$$ on the side, although losing your garage for a couple of weeks at a time is a bit of a pain

Ok people, one more update not involving spray painting....I should really change the title of this thread to how to fit my bodykit lol

Ok its finally fitted and I gotta say, don't hack away ANYTHING without making triple checks that it should be hacked away. I made a small mistake as you can see from that extra small opening that shouldn't be there.....

These fibreglass kits are NOT designed for straight fit as soon as the factory kits are off. I had trouble fitting it on first time because I left a few metal clips on the rear wheel arches which made it harder to fit. The extra layer of black plastic in the front wheel well also made it tough to fit it on. So if any of you buy these skirts, remember to take the rear metal clips off and fold the front plastic guards in, that way, it will JUST fit on, which I'm somewhat relieved to say.

Drilling holes....well, I'm not going into it, I seem to have uncanny spacial coordination and are able to mark all 4 holes spot on. You'll need to drill into the metal wheel well, but that involves taking the wheels off which is REALLY a bitch to do. For the front, just turn it full lock.

post-20995-1194351482_thumb.jpg