SAU Community

Steering Wheel Setups

Inline 6

i cant find the damn pic now but on ign.com they have a thing called ultimate setups where i seen some pretty cool 1s.

i reckon ill eventually get around to making 1 with a GTR seat.

any1 got any nice setups they wanna show off?

• 1 month later...

people have always asked for an external gear changer with the proper slots instead of just up and down, and also a clutch.

i read that polyphony/sony were not interested in doing the whole 'proper gear setup' coz "each car in GT is different and you wouldn't be able to feel the difference.." EG some cars have 4 gears, some 6. it would be wierd.

BUT WHO CARES HEY?! i'm dying for a proper setup. to the point where i might have to try make one on my own or employ someone to or something. i'm sure the demand will be there because with GT5 being physically and graphically very life-like, a proper stearing mechanism should be on the cars (EDIT: i meant on the cards, not cars; but it workd both ways). I can only hope that they are developing one in secret and then... BAM, release it and stun people.

That's what I hope anyway

Edited by ALEX!

easy fixed...

Get a G25.

yeah get a g25, they are fairly cheep at dick smiths, got mine for under 300. been playing gtr 2 on it for weeks. tho to tell you the truth the h pattern shifter gets a bit too much and i use the paddles most of the time.

but all in all they are a great wheel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

thats some nice work man, :D unfortunately all my spare cash is going to be going on investing now but ill deff have to whip up something like that in the future.

that lil chair in yours looks like it could get uncomfortable after a while though :/ but nice all the same

thats some nice work man, :( unfortunately all my spare cash is going to be going on investing now but ill deff have to whip up something like that in the future.

that lil chair in yours looks like it could get uncomfortable after a while though :blush: but nice all the same

:nyaanyaa: It didn't actually cost that much to put together. The timber I found on a building site, small pieces of mdf was what I had left over from building my poker table (that's another story) and the chair was only about 30 bucks from Ikea. Just took a hacksaw to the legs :P

And it's surprisingly comfortable. Been doing some enduros lately and no complaints.

My mate has one he made of steel for his Forza wheel and utilises a VR commodore seat including the rails so you can adjust it for his tallness or my shortness.

He WILL be building one for me to use with my G25 on the PS3 :blush:

I'll try to remember to get some pics next time I'm round there.

• 3 weeks later...
My mate has one he made of steel for his Forza wheel and utilises a VR commodore seat including the rails so you can adjust it for his tallness or my shortness.

He WILL be building one for me to use with my G25 on the PS3 :cool:

I'll try to remember to get some pics next time I'm round there.

Does the G25 work with the PS3?

Even the wireless functions?

• 1 month later...
Im impressed bigslick. I want to build something like that but for the xbox wheel. How did you decide on the dimensions of everything?

Just took a few measurements while I was in the seated position I wanted, drew a few diagrams (yr8 tech studies came in handy for something) and did a few calcultions. Just in case it helps you to get started, the dimensions of mine are: length 1305mm, main frame width 575mm, main swingarm length 655mm, seat height from floor 250mm.

Mine is nothing special by any means. It does show you can easily buy basic stuff and have an OK setup.

image240kg0.jpg

G25

PS3 (GT5)

PC (GTR2)

(Note: the gear shift holder for my driving frame since arrived and has been connected, hence why the gearbox is "seperate" in this picture)

Edited by TommO

• 2 months later...

looks much better

although do u have short legs? looks a lil lacking in the knee room department :P

maybe im looking at it wrong but it looks pretty minature all round it needs the 5 dollar bill for scale purposes :P

• 11 months later...

OK. So it's been......... WOW Almost a year!! :D Oh well, time flies.

Anyway, finally got around to upgrading the Playstation cockpit.

Bought a G25 (40% off at Harvey Norman) and car seat from Supercheap and knocked up some plans.

Me cutting out the side panels

post-41152-1245320414_thumb.jpg

The seat on it's custom base is detachable so it can be used as a normal lounge chair

post-41152-1245320474_thumb.jpg

View showing the gearshift mount box. And the flash showing up my blotchy paintwork! :)

post-41152-1245321466_thumb.jpg

post-41152-1245320547_thumb.jpg

post-41152-1245320562_thumb.jpg

Took the measurements from seating position in the GT-R.

Waaaaaay more comfortable and the G25 feels awesome ;)