SAU Community

A R31 as a thrashing car? =D

Leon.T

Well, I'm looking for another car to drive to work instead of bringing my R33...I dont know much about the R31, except that it's 3ltr engine. But can this car go hard? Or do u guys recommend any other old car besides this with cheap insurance?

It could go hard if you put an RB25DET head on it ;)

Seriously, they actually go pretty well with the SOHC head. They feel quite responsive around town and are fairly good on fuel consumption. Then again, my experience with one was back in the early 90s, so it was still newish. Not too sure how well they have held up over the years.

Yer, I used to own a 1986 R31 GXE for 2 years.. was the car before my R33..great.. make sure you get a GXE or Ti as it has all the options like aircon, power steering, etc. Has a bit of power, and can be modified a bit. They'll go harder than anything else under $4000 I'd say..

Insurance, not so cheap actually.. not as cheap as something else...of course not as bad as a turbo skyline, but i think it was around $400 full comp over 25, rating 1 for me.

Other suggestions include early Bluebird, early commodore (shudder), or something like a corolla or magna.

get the first of the twin cam corolla's.

the square ones.

86kw, light little car.

got no torque but loves to rev like all hell.

I loved that car..

very VERY reliable.

insurance is dirt cheap.

can pick up a good example (well as good as a 15 - 17 year old car can be.. 86 - 88 models) for under $4K

ah ok thanx for the info....found out that a

Skyline 89" will cost $3000 for comp for a $5000 car WTF??

anyway still looking @ corollas, skylines and cheap cars :) (except holdens)

Originally posted by predator666

make sure you get a GXE or Ti as it has all the options like aircon, power steering, etc. Has a bit of power, and can be modified a bit.  

um, power steering is standard on all R31's. :mad:

Yes, they can go hard.

If you like manuals, then don't even bother with a Ti, because they only came out as autos.

They are easy to modify, and you get good power gains with minimal mods.

Ti and Silhouette both have factory mags and trip computers, and they are pretty good as far as fuel consumption goes.

Standard, you should average 450-500k's per tank.

I could go on all day, for more info, click the banner in my sig. ;)

Guest outlawskyline

The R31s go very well, i own one and have only a K&N and extractors and 2.5" exhaust, they are also very reliable, the real only things to look 4 is excessive noises in the gearbox and the diff- if its an LSD, which i think only the sillouhettes came out with, there is a supercharger kit available from Castlemaine Rod Shop, but the power steering pump gets in the way, not a big job to move it. I have a bad driving record and paying around 1100. I recommend them.

bah to supercharger. :P

For what it costs, it's much easier and cheaper to turbo the car, and ultimately you get more power with a turbo.

The supercharger dyno'd at 110kw... rather unimpressive in anyones books.

:blah:

Very reliable if you get one thats not about to fall apart.

Engine is the strong point.

Handling is the weak point.

Good pads and fluid and your brakes will be alright

Make sure its a manual, and watch the diff. A VERY sloppy/noisy one will probably need replacing. Most whine with some slop anyway.

You can get decent ones for under 4k.

Guest outlawskyline

I always thought that there was too much plumbing and fine tuning to run a turbo, u know anyone that does em? wot sort of cost? The r31 engine is a tough block and should handle it alright? I agree that 110kw isnt impressive but they are made to bolt on to a stock engine.

I use to have an R31, Skyline Silhouette. was the best car so much power i've heard of guys running turbo's on these cars and apparently you can get some good power out of them. the motors are very strong.

I've also owned 2 Twin Cam Corolla's 1986 Model, these cars are so much fun to drive i smashed through a bunch of parts though.. not the strongest of cars :D

R31, is my recommendation. but buy the Silhouette. better seats and other options :)

Hey guys im looking at doing the rb30/25 head in me r32. In one of the other posts I was stating to someone what I would be getting done.

Long story short, what would you think of an rb30 block, properly rebuilt using ACL bearings, honed, etc using standard pistons? Someone commented that this sounded like ya mommas VL engine rebuild. Do you agree?