SAU Community

Gear And Diff Oil

MoogLe

which oils are you guys using in your tranny and diff?

i've been searching all over SOC and SAU but i cant really find a definate answer, specially on the diff oil.

I'm looking to get some redline oil and was thinking redline lightweight shockproof for the Gearbox but i'm not sure at all what to put into the diff.

Would i be better off with heavyweight shockproof in the gearbox?

R33 gtst

really? i've seen a bunch of people recommend redline before

MoogLe,

I gave my NA 33 GTS a full service last weekend... so that included gearbox and diff. I use the Redline Lightweight Shockproof that you mentioned... it's damn expensive though... $130ish for 5L (box takes about 2.5L). My gearbox is a little worn and slightly 'notchy' sometimes, so this is a worthwhile investment (I put some in about a year ago, then blew my clutch. when they changed my clutch they drained my oil!). If your gearbox is in really good condition (i.e. smooth into and out of every gear), don't bother with the redline.

As for the gearbox, I used Penrite LimSlip 90, simply because that's what Penrite suggested for my car ;)

MoogLe,

I gave my NA 33 GTS a full service last weekend... so that included gearbox and diff. I use the Redline Lightweight Shockproof that you mentioned... it's damn expensive though... $130ish for 5L (box takes about 2.5L). My gearbox is a little worn and slightly 'notchy' sometimes, so this is a worthwhile investment (I put some in about a year ago, then blew my clutch. when they changed my clutch they drained my oil!). If your gearbox is in really good condition (i.e. smooth into and out of every gear), don't bother with the redline.

As for the gearbox, I used Penrite LimSlip 90, simply because that's what Penrite suggested for my car >_<

you mean diff in the last part?

now i'm doubting wether i should use heavy of lightweight shockproof oil,

i've been recommended both, still lost on the diff too, doubt i'll find pennrite around here, never even heard of that brand

what car is it going in?

redline is used mainly for old noisy gearboxes.

I would try something like motul.

Read the oil thread:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/go...0&start=780

I think your referring to Redline lightweight shockproof which is often used for older gearboxes.

Some people say its fine in newer gearboxes some people prefer MTL or similar.

I used Redline 75w90 in my mechanical GTR rear diff. Obviously if you have a viscous diff you would be using something else.

There's a guy called http://performancelub.com/ that sells redline pretty cheap.

Regards,

Gareth

Read the oil thread:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/go...0&start=780

I think your referring to Redline lightweight shockproof which is often used for older gearboxes.

Some people say its fine in newer gearboxes some people prefer MTL or similar.

I used Redline 75w90 in my mechanical GTR rear diff. Obviously if you have a viscous diff you would be using something else.

There's a guy called http://performancelub.com/ that sells redline pretty cheap.

Regards,

Gareth

you know,

i emailed Redline through their website to ask for their recommendation and they recommended me the exact same stuff you did

MT90 in the gearbox and 75w90 in the diff.

so i'm gonna go with their recommendation. After all, who knows their stuff better than they do?

Edited by MoogLe

Redline Shockproof is made for gearboxes that do not use synchros...skylines have synchros therefore redline is not good for skyline gearboxes..

im using motul everything..its expensive but its good..for gearbox theres motul 300 gear but i couldnt find that so im using motul gear ff competition...Got it from the local autobarhn and the guy there is a rep for motul so he was very helpful :D