SAU Community

Petrol

BenZor

I personally haven't noticed any difference in performance on either shell/bp/mobil. What i have noticed is that Shell Optimax smell's more like Sulfur .... compared to BP Ultimate... which has a stronger (fuel) smell....

does that make sense.....

can we all be friends now please....

I have 2 servos near my joint. One Shell, the other BP. I havent tried the BP stuff yet, simply because the Shell servos have the better range of MUNCHIE foods to purchase, and its a 24/7.

Oh, there was a hot babe working there for awhile too, and theres usually a hottie getting fuel too!:mad:

Might try this BP stuff. ( hope its as good a perv!)

Sorry Carlo....nothing personal, but Jimx is right. Shell's website does in fact say that Optimax is min 98 RON. It's interesting to note that in the latest SPEED, the editor takes the piss out of these forums. I can see why. Lot's of posters THINK they know something, and don't base it on fact. All that is required is a little research before one opens one's mouth and blats on about something.

I was bitten the first day I joined the forum, funny enough, it was on a topic regarding 'FUEL'. I stated this and that about 98RON fuels that were available in Oz, and mentioned Toluene....and the fact that I thought it was a carcinogen......well, all the experts on this forum came out of the woodwork, took me to the cleaners and said it wasn't blah blah blah. Fact remains, there are forms of Toluene that are carcinogens and I aint gunna gargle or wash with it. (for those who doubt me, check the NOHSC website).

If I make a claim on this site, it is based on research info, not hearsay. Sometimes I wonder how many people have had problems with their cars because of erroneous information gleened from this and sites alike.....such as max boost levels??? All I can say is be careful....it's great to discuss these issues and each others experiences, but please check with an expert in the field before trying anything.

(my view only....don't take the piss)

cheers Ozzy

Originally posted by carlo Now what we have is essentially 2 fuels.. Optimax say they have a 98.4RON fuel, Mobile say they have a 98.3RON fuel, Caltex Say they have a 95+RON fuel.  

So I did some more research and found that Optimax has  

1. A significantly shorter shelf life. So the ron rating will decrease below 94 after only 3-4 days.

2. That optimax is a heavier fuel, so why it is a higher RON its power delivery is hampened by the cleaning agents etc in the fuel.

Heya Ozzy,

I know what it says on the website, and I did some research and got more facts. The website is written by marketers who want to make people fuel brand junkies. For the most park it worked.

I can also understand why the editor of speed will have a go at forums, generally the people on them make comments with out backing them up or doing any research. However you have to remember that there is some very intelligent well resourced people on these forums.

Fair cop Carlo.

I'll email Shell and ask them if that is possible. I know they will of course say naaaah, that's not possible. But surely they can't make claims of 98 RON if that is not the case after such a short period.??

Watch this space.

cheers Ozzy

The guy that did the testing on SDU still found that Optimax was over 98RON. It was the worst of the three though.

I was using Synergy 8000 in my bike for awhile but stopped because they jacked the price up to 20c above their regular unleaded price. I guess they were hoping that the other companies would follow suit but they never did so now it's back to normal (ish) again.

A BP depot is next to the servo i use (I know my fuel will be fresh all teh time :D) and I decided to walk in and have a chat to the rep....

He says the three major petrol manufacturers that make 98RON fuels (BP, Shell and Mobil) each make their own 98RON fuels and dont share it between themselves. BP make Ultimate in Perth and Brisbane. And he said that they all share 95RON (and below)fuels between each other, so BP unleaded might be found at a Shell or Mobil bouser. And BP is considering dropping standard Unleaded in the future.

BP make racing fuels (AvGas and Methanol) as well but they all contain lead and will kill your O2 sensor.

He also said that he heard of a company in Sydney called VP Wholesale (?I think?) that makes (or is in the process of making) a street legal 100RON unleaded and selling it in drums.

Yeah, one of the smaller chains sells a 98 octane petrol called "Evolution 98" as well.

If there is that much concern, why not get someone to do some testing of octane levels.

Either way there is no commercial 100 octane petrol sold in Aus, so anything we use is less than the ECU expects.