SAU Community

Canon 580ex Ii Flash

ShadowKnyght

Hello all,

Just recently added a new lens to my set up and have decided that a decent flash is the next thing on my shopping list.

Unless someone can recommend a better flash for similar money I am now chasing the 580EX II

Has to be 'II' as my 40D has in built support for that flash only. Or so I read at dpreview.com

My Rig:

Canon 40D

70-200mm F/4 L USM

24-105mm F/4 L IS USM (to replace my crappy kit lens - 18-55mm) Hopefully 24mm is wide enough still though (crosses fingers).

So I Need a flash.

Can any suggest a good place to buy one? Or have one to sell or trade?

(I have a brand new 350D with kit lens 18-55mm that has only been taken out of the box to test (was supposed to be a 400D) - comes with wireless remote, basic external flash, carry bag, 1GB CF, all the original manuals, CD's and boxes etc - all in Mint condition)

At this stage I have found them being sold new on eBay for $500 delivered from an AU source - but if you can offer better or suggest better then please let me know. d-d-photographics offers them for closer to $600 inc delivery.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...v#goto_itemInfo

Has them for around the $470 to $480 mark delivered depending on what our ozzie dollar does in the next few days (and if customs hits yo with import tax)

Thanks in advance.

If it's your first flash, save your money and get a Sigma EF-500 Super. They're a crap load cheaper and are great to learn on. No point spending $200-300 more than you have to.

The Canon ones are great but really they're similarly specced and the only positives about getting the Canon is if you have more than 1 flash.

I have a 30D, as does my friend and we both swear by these flashes. Especially because having two means you can set up some pretty awesome wireless master/slave stuff.

In fact, if you have the money for the Canon, buy TWO Sigmas for about the same price!

Oh and you may find 24mm wont cut the mustard after being spoiled with 18mm. Sure the quality is better -- thought the 24-105 isn't one of canon's finest lenses.

I got the 17-50mm Tamron which is noisy (Autofocus) but the sharpness is in the same league as the Canon 50mm f1.4 and the 70-200 f4L. And it's actually usable at f2.8, unlike the Canon 50mm f1.8.

Yeah I have 2 kids and 18mm as a wide angle is amazing - kids tend to walk towards you when you take photos not away so wide angle works well.

Amazing how with 18mm you kid can stand right in front of you and yet you still can capture all of him and some of the surroundings as well...

(starts to get even more worried about the 24mm not being wide enough :) )

oh BTW - any suggestions on best place to buy the sigma flash?

I have not heard of it before. My main aim with the 580EXII is that the 40D has built in support - so I am hoping it will be able to handle most of the setting automatically when needed and leave me to play with the advanced settings when time permits.

I believe you'll find the old 580EXII will work fine with the 40D too. You just wont have the full benefits of some of the more advanced autofocus things or something.

Take note that there is a Sigma 530 and a 500. But hardly any difference so just get the cheaper one.

Both are fine, the 530 is a little newer that's all. Just make sure you get the one called "DG Super" as the "ST" and/or "Super" are lower powered, lower featured versions.

$459AUD - http://www.centre.net.au/index.html?cat=00...&it=product

$370AUD - Ebay Item

$345AUD - Ebay Item

$259USD - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5153...uper_Flash.html

(I'd recommend ordering from BH, great prices, fast shipping)

How do you think the Sigma 530 DG Super compares to the Canon 430EX? Better? as they are about the same price from bh.

The 530 on the surface appears to be closer to the 580EX II without the full TTL auto support though which may be something I need whilst learning.

If I was not going to be using the master slave wireless features for some time - is there any other major benefit to the 580 over the 430 when using a 40D?

Reason for asking is Dpreview.com states:

External flash

• In-camera flash configuration (currently only 580 EX II) *

Now what benefits does it give you have an "in-camera flash config"? Better Auto results? less need for manual intervention?

Other differences noted:

The 580 is 15m's better at 105mm

190' (58 m) at 105mm

141' (43 m) @ 105mm

Of concern though is that the 580 is a slower flash - the built in 40D flash - whilst being next to useless at distance shots can fire extremely rapidly...

Also the 430 is faster

3.7 Seconds (based on alkaline batteries & full power)

2 Seconds (based on NiMH batteries & full power)

compared to 580:

6 Seconds in normal mode (based on fresh alkaline batteries & full power)

3 Seconds in rapid mode (based on fresh alkaline batteries & full power)

hmmm also the 580 has a better Auto set up by the looks:

Auto Distance Range Full TTL at all apertures

Auto f/Stops Full TTL at all apertures

And has a better vari power range going to 1/128th compared to 1/64th

Ok now I am confused - spend more for a potentially more compatible flash (?? based on dpreviews comment) that is slower, or spend less on a faster lens that may need more manual intervention at this stage than my knowledge could offer?

430EX / 530 DG Super or 580EX II (bh sells these for $460 at the current exchange rate inc del)

Thoughts?

How do you think the Sigma 530 DG Super compares to the Canon 430EX? Better? as they are about the same price from bh.

The EF 500/530 is better than the 430EX in terms of features and power. The 430EX will probably have slightly better ETTL Auto Focus abilities, but this is very marginal.

The 530 on the surface appears to be closer to the 580EX II without the full TTL auto support though which may be something I need whilst learning.

Having less 'auto' features would be more benificial while learning. However, the 530EX, 580EX, Sigma 500 and the 430EX will all give similar auto results.

If I was not going to be using the master slave wireless features for some time - is there any other major benefit to the 580 over the 430 when using a 40D?
The power difference and other features are significant here. However take note, that the 430 only acts as a slave which can be limiting in the future, when a Sigma or 530/580EX will work as both and will be much more flexible for it.
Reason for asking is Dpreview.com states:

External flash

In-camera flash configuration (currently only 580 EX II) *

Now what benefits does it give you have an "in-camera flash config"? Better Auto results? less need for manual intervention?

Not 100% sure on this one, I would assume it's simply a way of controling the flash settings without taking your hands off the camera, which will probably yeild marginally better auto results.
Other differences noted:

The 580 is 15m's better at 105mm

190' (58 m) at 105mm

141' (43 m) @ 105mm

Which flashes is that comparison applied to? 580 vs ??
Of concern though is that the 580 is a slower flash - the built in 40D flash - whilst being next to useless at distance shots can fire extremely rapidly...

Also the 430 is faster

3.7 Seconds (based on alkaline batteries & full power)

2 Seconds (based on NiMH batteries & full power)

compared to 580:

6 Seconds in normal mode (based on fresh alkaline batteries & full power)

3 Seconds in rapid mode (based on fresh alkaline batteries & full power)

That's because the 430 is much less powerful flash. if you turn the 530/580EX down to the same power levels, their performance will be very similar.
Ok now I am confused - spend more for a potentially more compatible flash (?? based on dpreviews comment) that is slower, or spend less on a faster lens that may need more manual intervention at this stage than my knowledge could offer?
They're all similarly easy to use in Auto. You just point and shoot. All have advanced manual settings which are hard to learn, but they all work in the same kind of way, just with different features and costs.
430EX / 530 DG Super or 580EX II (bh sells these for $460 at the current exchange rate inc del)

Thoughts?

Personally, I wouldn't consider the 430 at all. It's between the Sigma and the 580. It all comes down to money really. If it were me, I'd probably get a sigma again.

Which flashes is that comparison applied to? 580 vs ??

The 580 is 15m's better at 105mm than the 430

190' (58 m) at 105mm 580EXII

174' (53 m) at 105mm 530 DG Super

141' (43 m) @ 105mm 430

Plus the Sigma is very slightly slower again than the 580 even though it has less power.

But it is hard to look past the price difference

BH:

580EX II $401.65 USD delivered ($467 AUD @ 0.86)

530 DG S$300.15 USD delivered ($349 AUD @ 0.86)

Only issue - save $120 now and regret later? or Spend it now and never find out if the sigma would have been more than enough ?? ;)

Edited by ShadowKnyght

I've got a 580EX I which I got cheap as it was an ex-display model. I haven't tried any of the other models/brands, but I can assure you the 580EX is just awesome. If you're only taking portrait shots you will never find you haven't got enough flash, thats for sure ;)

I've used a 430EX, 580EX (Original) and Sigma 500.

The Canon one is great, but not worth the extra spend.

Whatever one you choose, it'll most likely be more than you'll need and cost a lot more than you realistically needed to spend. With general photo work the flash wont come in much use, unless you do a lot of portrait work.

Spend as much as you think you need, as long as it flashes and is adjustable, it'll be better than the on-board flash by mile, and not because of the extra power or features, mostly comes down to the fact that you can bounce the light and soften the whole thing up.