SAU Community

Modifying The Rb20

if they ring you and tell you theres any form of problem (if your lucky they wil tell you) ensure you clearly state if you want them to fix it or not.

ive had a few bad experiences with CRD. 1 example. was sick of removing the stainless manifold and getting it repaired so gave it to them to do it. $1500 and 3 weeks later got nothing more than a external gate that was plumbed incorrectly and massively overboosting.

i bid you goodluck......

Ye hopefully i wont get roughted. Im gonna be there though through the whole thing.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did u use the remap CEFF1E is providing?

sure did, notice more low down torque compared to the custom remap I had in the car that the previous owner got done at not naming who at Kirrawee which were stupid enough to remove the rev limiter but yet rich the shit outta the tune at around 6k rpm, morons. Ran like shit, drank heaps of fuel, liked backfiring, awesome heap of shiet.

On the upside, CEFF1E remap cost me $150 delivered, with good results.

So i went to CRD today. Did not end up doing the turbo change because they talked me out of it, saying all it will do is shift the power band further up in the rev range.

The fuel pump was installed very nicely. I supplied the pump and they added a "sock" that slips into the pump making it the same diameter as the stock pump. Took 3 hrs though coz the walbro pump had everything opposite. The wires on the pump had to be switched and hoses had to be switched i think. In the end it was installed. I have to say, not very happy about the build of the walbro. Cost me $95.

Tune will be on Friday as Jim is still overseas.

Turbo will be for sale soon, just thinking about keeping it as a spare. If theres interested i would probably sell. It will come with elbow that has nipple attached for actuator. Turbo is R33 Series 1. CRD said its in good condition. You can ask them if in doubt

Edited by mark_sudakov

sure did, notice more low down torque compared to the custom remap I had in the car that the previous owner got done at not naming who at Kirrawee which were stupid enough to remove the rev limiter but yet rich the shit outta the tune at around 6k rpm, morons. Ran like shit, drank heaps of fuel, liked backfiring, awesome heap of shiet.

On the upside, CEFF1E remap cost me $150 delivered, with good results.

Any idea if he still does them? Coz not many people seemed to have bought one

I also can't believe they talked you out of the turbo installation. I was looking forward to seeing your outcome as i'm going down the same path myself relatively soon. All i need is the turbo and re-map.

Very unfortunate for you mate, but if i were you i'd look into another work shop and get them to put it in for you, from what i've seen and read it will definately be a worthy upgrade.

If you're content with the way your car is now and want to sell your RB25 turbo with supporting bits for the RB20 consider me very interested and throw a price my way. Please let me know as soon as you've come to a decision.

Cheers,

Steve.

what a farking joke.

let me tell you what really happened..

your tiny upgrade job was not worth their time.

That is spasctic.

Please do me a favour and listen to me.

I can give you the details of my mechanic which I used exclusively for over 6 years when I lived in sydney.

he is a regular mechanic.

he can pull shit aprt and put shit back together.

he does not do any tuning.

he will do all mechanical work from oil change to rebuild engine.

He is a greek guy who works with his wife and another mechanic.

he is honest and reliable.

he has done my turbo for me, on my skyline, my galant vr4.

he has done an RB25 turbo on to RB20 for another member on here that I sent to him.

He will quote you what it will cost (I will assume around $300) and will call you when it's done.

the bill will be what ever he quoted you.

His workshop is in Bankstown (don't hold that against him).

Once the turbo is on, just speak with CEFFIE on these forums.

tell him what you have (exhaust, intake, rb25 turbo, stock injectors, walbro pump).

ask him what boost he suggests you run with one of his remaps and just do it.. ($150 someone else has said for theirs)

CEFFIE did the exact same thing before he went all out on his own motor.

If you want my mechanics details let me know and I will PM you his contact details and address.

I can't believe they talked you out of the turbo.

they probably had bigger dollar work that they could fit in to that 2.5 hours.

CRD is obviously a massively popular and brilliant workshop.

but the fact is, they don't have time for tightarse mods like we do on budgets.

CEF11E does some good work

He did the tune on my car and i made 188rwkw on 1bar with more noticeable low end grunt

Highflow + gtr injectors and z32 afm

its tuned for 20psi but my clutch won't hold that so i haven't turned it up yet

Exactly what GTST said

CEF11E was going to do my REMAP tune as well as he is down here in Melbourne currently for work but I ended up going all out and getting an AP Engineering PFC to suit R20

Either way he does a great job and he only charges about $150 max, for that price he was going to solder the socket in as well and do the tune

You should really do the RB25 turbo upgrade man, with the fuel pump, cooler and exhaust

With the REMAP, depending on how healthy your motor is, CEF11E said I would be expecting up to about 185rwkw (with supporting mod;s) that’s on safe boost, about 14.5psi

All the above has been done by many other members that is why it comes recommended by most

Cheap and easy upgrade with positive results

Good luck

I wouldn't go saying he will guarantee anything.

especially not on his behalf.

dyno's give different results.

the fact is, rb25 turbo flows 15% more air than the RB20 one will at the same boost.

with tuning, it will be a great little upgrade.

just realised how many times I've typed CEF11E's name incorrectly. n00b!

Also, mandatory to get your injectors ultra sonic'ed, before you whack in the EPROM & up the boost.

There's nothing worse than a leaner than stock tune, on injectors that don't flow the amount that should.

That only leading to even a leaner tune = ka boom motor.

I wouldn't go saying he will guarantee anything.

especially not on his behalf.

dyno's give different results.

the fact is, rb25 turbo flows 15% more air than the RB20 one will at the same boost.

with tuning, it will be a great little upgrade.

just realised how many times I've typed CEF11E's name incorrectly. n00b!

whoops changed wording for that

Yeah he was saying I'd be expecting up to 185rwkw on about 14.5psi boost with supporting mods and dependant on life of engine and turbo

But if you’re on a budget, this is definitely the way to go!

They talked you OUT of putting the 25 turbo on? like wtf?

Ye, cannot remember the guys name, but he said he put it in his r32 gtst and the only difference was the powerband shift to higher rpm. The car is silver, plates 321 GO, maybe his a member, didnot ask. He now has a rb25 engine in that car.

Man modifying is confusing. Especially when a famous tuning shop like CRD give u advice that is different to here.

your tiny upgrade job was not worth their time.

Maybe. But my car was the only one in the workshop being worked on. Apart from another r32 being worked on later on in the 3hrs i was there. They still asked me to go ahead if i wanted, but i pulled out. Still unsure

Simple,deal with someone who respects your car for what it is and what you want from it.

Their just trying to Up-sell to you,,,,looks like their halfway there.

Edited by FATAZZ

Simple,deal with someone who respects your car for what it is and what you want from it.

Their just trying to Up-sell to you,,,,looks like their halfway there.

No up-selling was attempted with me. He just said to save the money.

exactly,save your money to buy a bigger/better turbo that will no doubt cost a crap load more and no doubt cost alot more to fit then the simple rb25 turbo.

what other turbo are you going to buy and have fitted to achieve the same amount of power as the rb25 turbo would give you,but not spend more then you would on the rb25 turbo.

Goodluck!

Id like to have a discussion on this topic of stock vs rb25 turbo.

I currently have:

- Just Jap FMIC

- Xforce turboback exhaust

- Apexi Pod

- Walbro Fuel Pump

- Turbotech Boost Controller (Will be put on when tuned)

- everything else stock

Judging by my boost guage, im hitting 12psi at full boost. What would be the difference a tune with stock turbo at 13psi against a tune with r33 turbo at 13psi? Would the r33 show better results under 5000rpm as opposed to the stock turbo, or just up top, where i rarely go to?

what other turbo are you going to buy and have fitted to achieve the same amount of power as the rb25 turbo would give you,but not spend more then you would on the rb25 turbo.

Goodluck!

Well its basically either rb25 turbo or leave as is and just tune.