SAU Community

Tint... Or No Tint?

Wayne_J

I say go for it too...tint it! Slightly different shades is better than no tint at all...

Here's a pic of mine...darkest legal 3M tint on the front, rears are factory tint from Japan as per usual..not very noticeable..still looks good.

IMG_1503.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the darkest legal tint done about a week ago. Mastertint $300 lifetime warranty etc. The car looks sooo much better and yes it does look really dark on the outside, but i dont really have any problems seeing out of it from the inside, even at night im not struggling. And as long as cops can see in somewhat they wont harass u

Also u dont need to use your aircon as much and u can root away no problems

Dont bother keeping that old tint, just rip it all out

Tint it!

People are stating that it would look weird having a slightly lighter tint on the doors, however it currently has no tint, which is an even bigger contrast. Sure it's a very JDM look, but outside of Japan, it just looks plain wierd to most whom aren't used to seeing it.

I've owned cars with no tint before, and you definately want some privacy sometimes,.... I tend to drive with my windows down alot of the time, but just having the option to put the windows up and be less visible is comforting.

As n15m0 stated, having slightly different shades is better than no tint at all.

It already is extremely contrasted, lessening it won't be wierd at all. Anyways, even having the same tint all round, the doors always appear somewhat lighter, since they are bigger than the quarter windows, with more light coming through in combination with all that light shining through an untinted front window.

At least this way, if you like the darker tint from Japan, it won't be as obvious when a cop pulls up beside you, because he will still be able to see you through the door windows which would be legal, thus they won't really question the legality of the Japanese tint as much.

Either this, or replace tint to make all windows conform,.. but do tint it, you won't regret tinting.

Got a quote to tint my windows today. $350 for somewhere between the darkest legal and limosine. It looks really good. This thread put the idea into my mind, and then I noticed the top of my rear seats were badly faded, and that was it. Should have it on in a few weeks, I'll post pics when it's done. It'll look so much better!

Seems that the consensus is that I tint 'em! :banana:

Thanks for all the replies and ideas - I'll get the tint done within the next few weeks.

First job off the rank next week is replacing my 3 week old Xforce muffler with a Varex muffler

(wish I did this to begin with but was talked out of it!)

The current muffler is sometimes just too loud/boomy and with the silencer fitted, too restricted - so the Varex seems a much better compromise - the only negative is that the existing system is 3.5" and the biggest currently available Varex is 3"... but I feel it'll have minimum impact.

I've done a lot of reading on the subject and I think the Varex will be okay just as long as common sense is used...

So I'll have a near new muffler up for sale soon I hope :)

Erm, oh yeah... we were talking about tinting weren't we?!?

Man, theres no end to the stuff that I 'need' to do to this Skyline, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Done deal :)

Quite a bit lighter but it's as dark as the law allows.

Not a great phone piccy but gives you an idea of the new tint:gallery_46181_2320_40845.jpg

Off to the detailers on Monday to get some swirls taken out of the paintwork, plus a general buff & tidy up of minor scratches. I saw a red 2000 model Commode there that had the same treatment, and the paintwork looked brand new.

Edited by Wayne_J

Legal tint is kinda gay. No offence, but all my mates have it and it really doesnt look that great. I prefer it when it makes it difficult to look into the car, so 20% or less, but that is just me. In WA we dont have 2 go over the pits to re-regester a car, so we dont really have a problem with illegal cars, unless the cops pull you over. Is that what happens over there tho? Or am I badly mistaken?

I'll be getting that Midnight Express (35%) tint on Monday on my 34, I'll post a pic just for other people's reference who are considering it once it's done.

http://www.tintacar.com.au/autofilm_midnight.shtml

Yup, I should mention that I got 'Midnight Express' on mine yesterday.

Glad I did, made quite a difference inside and visibility still seems good.

Oh and BTW the Midnight Express tint matches the original Japanese tint in tone nicely.

Edited by Wayne_J

Legal tint is kinda gay. No offence, but all my mates have it and it really doesnt look that great. I prefer it when it makes it difficult to look into the car, so 20% or less, but that is just me. In WA we dont have 2 go over the pits to re-regester a car, so we dont really have a problem with illegal cars, unless the cops pull you over. Is that what happens over there tho? Or am I badly mistaken?

Yeah, the darker tint looks nice from the outside, I agree.

But from the inside, its not necessarily as practical when it is dark.

I really didn't want to add yet another visibly illegal mod to my car, Skylines are cop-magnets as it is...

I'm trying to keep the appearance of mine as stock as possible, the exhaust looks almost stock (and I can hit the remote to quieten it if need be), the front mount intercooler isn't very obvious - the only thing on mine that is obvious are the staggered wheels (18x9, 18x10).

I really do not feel like getting a defect and having to put it over the pits, so I'm not going to risk it all just for some dark tint. I'd rather take chances with things that enhance the performance :thumbsup:

I dont blame you, I'm sure most ppl are in the same boat, but I have only ever seen one cop from 100m away when I'm in my car. Just lucky I guess. I'm still young, so defects dont worry me just yet.

My mate had 5% limo tint and our work ute has 20% tint and you don't have trouble looking through the windows at night. You get used to it. If your having too much trouble, just wind down a window.

But as I have said so many times, its your car your decicion. I'll have to take my car over the pits WAY before you ever will!

tint it 15%..thats what i did with mine..luks much better and is cooler inside too. i know somoene that does it for $150 in sydney..pm me for details

Edited by taz2008