SAU Community

Help With Water Line/help With Install

MR 33

With exhaust manifolds the studs don't like the heat - whenever I work on diesels etc they aren't the best - getting heated and cooled to 500+ degrees 1000's of times takes it's toll I spose.

Yeah goto nissan or holden - vl commo studs are the same too.

Yeah will do tomoz. Fark all was open today, pain in the arse. Will start taking progress pics as of tomorrow. All my lines are on bar the oil drain coz i can't cut it to size till my turbs is on. Still haven't cut the other ones to size but got the hard ends on lol so all happening. This stud shit just farked things up though.

Just a quick question. Been searching around and found some pics of peoples water line set ups. Now i thought the line coming from back of head went into block side of turbo and the other line from side of motor went to strut side as per factory (i think? lol). Does it matter which water line goes where on the turbo? Was gonna run from back of head up to block side of the garrett but others pics show different i think

get new studs!! they cost roughtly $2 each at nissan! or get the stud guy to replace them.. i bought all new studs, yolks, washers and nuts when i did mine... surprisingly the washers were the most expensive :S... id also do the half moon cam cover gaskets and the rocker cover gaskets while there out. and also the little things that the screws that hold the rocker covers on.. the new ones are like 70 or so mm high.. mine were like 20 haha.. (squashed).. just spend the money and do it right.

Just a quick question. Been searching around and found some pics of peoples water line set ups. Now i thought the line coming from back of head went into block side of turbo and the other line from side of motor went to strut side as per factory (i think? lol). Does it matter which water line goes where on the turbo? Was gonna run from back of head up to block side of the garrett but others pics show different i think

Yes it does - make sure the water feed and return and oil feed and return go where they are designed to go. If you get stuck I can have a look at my HKS2835 - it should be similar or the same.

Cheers

Yeah will be going down to Nissan today to pick up all my stuff. Spewin theres no thread guy round here or even anywhere near. Blokes coming from Birrong.

About the lines, yeah i got the oil done thats the easy part. Just the water lines i'm wondering about, yeah could you have a look and tell me which one goes where? Wouldn't it be the same as a stock turbo ie line closest to block goes to back of the head? Thats how i was gonna put it back together. Thanks anyways guys :(

Hmm will be goin to nissan very shortly to get my stuff. Spent 10mins on the phone with this prick in service/parts who wouldn't give me prices coz i wouldn't give him my VIN!!! I was like, man i'm telling you what i want why do you need my vin, he said because there's heaps of different cars!? What a f**k wit, can't wait till i get down there. Heres some teaser photos anyways :D

post-28625-1203908353_thumb.jpg

And heres over 5g in stuff (inc my dogs fat arse lol)

post-28625-1203908433_thumb.jpg

Weeeeell i got all my stuff from Nissan today. $225 later!! $29 for studs, $33 for nuts, $34 for the washers and i bought two large yokes to replace the two that came out, they were around $2 each. Plus $112 for the gasket. At least it'll have all fresh stuff in there now :)

Edited by MR 33

Ok been searching everywhere to no avail. I'm half way through installing my gt30r and just had my snapped manifold studs removed and replaced etc. Now, i've pulled the four studs out that joins turbo to manifold to replace with the longer ones supplied by GCG. Now what is the preferred method of screwing these four studs in? I tried the usual doublenut method but all that done was strip the shit out of the studs as the nuts are a K-Lock design. Wish i new this before i started. Now i have to get 4 new studs. So yeah, how do i screw these bastards in without damaging them?? Do i need one of them stud socket thingoes or is there another way? One little problem after another, was told manifold would need machining by thread removal bloke then went to get it done and was told it doesn't! Threw another week on my install. Bloody doing my head in with all this. Thanks guys.

Weeell Brett (GCG) fixed my manifold studs for me. Now i have an even more frustrating problem. I cannot get the manifold back onto the head. I've tried for two days now and it will not go back on. I drilled the centre four holes out a bit but didn't really help much. Any reason as to why it won't go back on now? Someone wanna come round and work their magic? lol thanks guys

A couple of studs might be bent a little bit. Had the same drama with mine, but yours sounds a bit worse. I just had to give mine some coaxing with a soft hammer.

Yeah that was the only thing i could think of but how could that happen? I seem to be having trouble with the first stud at the top, that was snapped since i bought the car so i'm guessing all the other manifold holes have 'warped' over time except that one? Might go dig the hammer out. Really frustrating trying to get the bastard back on when i only just took it off! Thanks mate

Hrm ok got the hammer out and smacked the studs round a bit to no avail. This manifold is NOT going on. What a head ache. Any suggestions peoples? I need heeeelp, my gt30r is just staring at me begging to be boosted :/

Woo hoo, thanks to all the help from SAU :(

Manifold problem turned out to be the first stud, smashed the sh|t out of it with the hammer and eventually worked the manifold on. Then it sat there till i got off my arse and borrowed a torque wrench lol. Today i cracked at it and to my surpise had it actually running. Had some issues with air pockets and what not, sorted that out and took it for a lap round the block. Coming straight out of the turbo, sounded farken crazy. Boosted up to .45 bar, seemed nice. Running rich as all fark though. Get dump pipe made up this weekend hopefully then clutch in, then off to tuners where i'll install my injectors and z32 in his car park then roll er up on the dyno. Ooh yeah, can't wait. Will chuck some pics up soon. :)

Edited by MR 33

Yeah bit of stuff around but has to be done. Yes pfc.

Bled the coolant properly today and took it for another lap. Squeezed about 5psi into it and it dropped a cylinder (or maybe 2) for like 2 mins then kicked back in. Thinking i fouled a plug/s due to having no O2 sensor and stuff. Didn't think they could 'unfoul' though lol. Hopefully all tuned by next week possibly. Should be all ready for when i get my licence back :blink: