SAU Community

R33 Manual Gearbox Options

driftrx

allrighty ive got my r33 rolling shell withpretty much everything.. except one thing..

the gearbox,

looking around for r33 manual gearboxes, and of course, people want STUPID AMOUNTS OF COIN for them (ie 2k)

so ive beenn looking into other options, and am wondering what other people have done...

heard 300zx boxes, are same internally as a r33 one, cost 1/4th the cost, and with a bellhousing kit, gearbox mount, and yokes changed, will fit, andd give years of life.. (few SR20 boys doing these in silvias atm) with the additional cost of the bellhousing adaptor etc, will only come a couple hundred $$ ahead... (good tho when i fark it tho, cheap to replace)

another option, i heard this from some speed way boys... is the ford T5 manual tranny... these are neigh on indestructible, and apparently an aussie company makes a complete adaptor kit, for these boxes to mate up to RB30s... hence should bolt onto a rb25det nooo hassles... even better is i can get these boxes cheap as from the speedway ladies..

anyways, rb20det box is outta the question, will mince it in 2 days, possibly VL turbo MX7 (?) box? however just as expensicve as fkn rb25 boxes.

one other one is a R32 or R33 GTR gearbox, heard of people using these minus the transfer case, and using adaptor mounts or soemthing..

anyways, post up ideas, what people have done... etc

2k for a gearbox is fkn steep in my opinion...

will have to have a looky,

still looking into other options atm

no worries, i'll be interested to see if there are some comparable (or even stronger) solutions for less or equivalent money cos my box has warts....

• 1 year later...

I have a late series 2 gearbox manual for sale,

comes with gearbox mount and cross member, also all the proper little bits and pieces with the standard shift, the only thing i seem to have misplaced is the harness however i will be on the hunt for it today in the big cleanout

box came out of a front cut that i purchased which had 72500km's on it..

will be putting an add up in the classifieds in a minute.