SAU Community

R33 Differential Issues

ENVD33

Hi guys, i have a quick question, i have a series 2 33 gtst, and i feel there is something wrong with the diff.

when i stand straight line and spin the wheels i feel that both weels are spinning equally, now when i start to turn and attempt a slide or a donut for example, i feel the car twitch and realise that no longer are both wheels spinning evenly but one wheel ( the inside wheel) is spinning more and taking more of hte load than the other one, and i am no longer sliding rather just doing a burnout.

now my understand is that i have a LSD rear diff and that it is supposed to maintain same wheelspin through both wheels at all times when the wheels are spinning ??

is there something wrong with my diff ?

simon.

basically a shim is a thin metal plate. and when u put a certain plate or plates in there it helps the diff lock..

other than this, all i could recommend is to re oil the diff...then see what happens.

most people forget to replace the diff oil every 5000kms or less..

and the diff u have is a R200 item. which is a viscous diff. from what i have read is, it spins the wheel with least resistance.

Edited by r33cruiser

there is a DIY diff shimming thread n the Tutorials section.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Di...Gt-t164288.html

My diff has a lot of backlash and its really annoying the hell out of me. I have bought some 1.05mm shims to install in the diff. I will probably a workshop to do the work as I don't have a vice and really can't be bothered to be honest. I want to replace the diff bushes while I'm at it but am unsure if I will be able to do this with the subframe still in the car without too many hassles.

I will be shimming up a second hand diff that has no backlash as the shims probably won't do any thing to help that. It also means my car isn't off the road while it gets repaired.