SAU Community

Hicas For Street Use Only

For the street i actually really like HICAS. It's definitely good for mid-speed cornering. I'm not looking to get a lock bar at this stage. BUT that said any cornering at 100km/h or above can be scary at first (i shit myself) because it actually feels like 3x the amount of roll you'd normally feel. The car is trying to HELP turn-in, but unless you know how the limit of how far it kicks the rear into the turn it feels unstable, which is very scary for a novice driver at high speeds.

My advice is for the streets is get used to HICAS and it's pretty good. Learn its behaviour and limits.

For the track and high speeds corners/drifting it's probably better to lock it. What you want on a track is a car that instills confidence; you need the rear wheels to behave how you expect.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't find anything good about HICAS. It was designed for the Wallies, to make their car understeer at all times, so they hit things front on, where the airbags, crumple zone and seat belts can do their job. Wallies don't want no oversteer, ever.

It doesn't reduce body roll, that's physically impossible. HICAS turns the rear wheels, that's it, no anti roll effect there.

It doesn't improve mid speed cornering, "mid speed" means you are not on the limit, so there is nothing to improve, you're still not on the limit.

No race Skyline that I have ever seen has HICAS, EVERYBODY from Japan to Germany, from Group N to Group A removed it.

If I want to turn a corner I use the steering wheel and the throtte, I don't want no computer changing the line that I have chosen. I am not a Wally and I like to be in control.

Cheers

Gary

I can't find anything good about HICAS. It was designed for the Wallies, to make their car understeer at all times, so they hit things front on, where the airbags, crumple zone and seat belts can do their job. Wallies don't want no oversteer, ever.

It doesn't reduce body roll, that's physically impossible. HICAS turns the rear wheels, that's it, no anti roll effect there.

It doesn't improve mid speed cornering, "mid speed" means you are not on the limit, so there is nothing to improve, you're still not on the limit.

No race Skyline that I have ever seen has HICAS, EVERYBODY from Japan to Germany, from Group N to Group A removed it.

If I want to turn a corner I use the steering wheel and the throtte, I don't want no computer changing the line that I have chosen. I am not a Wally and I like to be in control.

Cheers

Gary

Hi Gary. I like your post, i agree it doesn't reduce bodyroll. I reckon it makes the rear feel like it rolls more, IMO that's the 'squirming' feeling you get.

Well for a wally like me HICAS is great. I don't drive a race car, i drive a street car. I can't reach the limit of grip pretty much ANYWHERE safely (passing the limit means over the cliff, for you it's into the kitty litter) so HICAS doesn't bug me that much.

I've decided when i start doing track days i'll get a lock bar to improve handling and shed some kgs. I'm pretty sure most Skyline owners who track their cars take this route...