SAU Community

E-manage + automatic...

Can anyone elaborate on the limitations of the e-manage when used on an automatic series 1 r33 gts25t.

I have read that you cannot use the ignition control harness on automatic Nissans. Why is this so? Will this be fixed by Greddy in the future?

I assume it is still possible to control the afm and injectors successfully.

If the ignition control remains unusable on an auto, would an exhaust cam timing wheel offer some benefit?

Guest RedLineGTR

with the ignition control i've heard from i post a while ago or something that it started melting coil packs...greddy assumed that it would work with autos as well thats what the guy said when they contacted him/them about the problem. *shurgs*

Where did you hear about this problem? Ignition control is supposed to be via intercept of the signal from the crank angle sensor? so how does it have problems with autos?

I have only seen a e-manage on an auto supra and it worked great.

Guest RedLineGTR

not sure its ture either i heard it on a thread or some review or something i cant really recall maybe they wired up something wrong dunno.

Taken from the sticky e-manage thread in Forced Induction Performance:

Originally posted by Dr_Drift

Hey guys Just thought I'd share my experience with e-manage. The only significant limitations I've found so far is that you cannot use the ignition control harness on automatics, and the speed limit as previously mentioned.

I've read something about melted coil packs as well. It may have been on the Yahoo e-manage group.

I don't think it affects other ECU's (ie Motec). I think it is just an e-manage issue with auto Nissans. So auto Supras should be OK...

The Dr knows all about this stuff.... Maybe he can elaborate?

I remember Dr Drift saying something that this is one of the limitation of the e-Management with Skyline. That's it doesn't work with the ignition harness or something.

Would be intresting to find out, cause I was thinking of installing the e-Management as well with my auto. No chance with the Power FC and the HKS F-cons with auto. Motec might be too expensive, my mechanics also mention Links Computers but don't know how good they are. Also Unichip but don't know if they will work with auto either.

Damn auto!! hehe :P

Strutto - Thanks for the PM...

Here Goes....

It appears that the automatic's wiring in nissans do in fact read the RPM signal from somwhere (haven't investigated where yet).... This signal going through some extra wiring to the auto control unit causes some minor electrical interference. This interference is picked up when trying to tune the e-manage. I assume this is due to the e-manage being more sensitive than the factory ECU. I am also assuming this is the same reason that neither FC's or FCONV's are available for automatics (maybe link's aren't either)??

My problem so far is that I have only tried tuning e-manage (not fitted by me) on one automatic car which was severly accident damaged by the owner a week after my initial attempt. The car has since been repaired but I think the owner is no longer looking for the extra power.

I have had several suggestions on how to rectify this problem, ranging from resistors inline with certain wires going to the e-manage which have RPM based signals (CAS, IGN, INJ), and to also try and run shielded wiring for the emanage.

All the other ECU's I've seen run shielded wiring right up to the ECU which the e-manage doesn't, so this would be the first place I would look.

Skylineakt - As far as fuel tuning goes the E-Manage is excellent, and a much better option than an SAFC or similar.... Perhaps you would be interested in a discounted supply/install and allow us to research this problem further on your car? Worst case scenario is that you have more power with a perfectly tuned fuel curve... Best case scenario is that we will discover how to maximise the potential of the e-manage for all our skyline brethren the world over???

Doc.

• 6 months later...