SAU Community

R33 ecu's interchangeable? (auto to 5 speed)

Lets say I have a complete automatic R33 RB25DET harness with the automatic ecu.

If I were to convert to 5 speed, would a 5 speed R33 RB25DET ecu plug directly into the automatic harness?

I know some of the auto wiring will not be used if so...

Just trying to figure out how hard it would be to convert a auto Rb25DET to 5 speed.

If anyone has any OTHER information too, please post. I'll be searching in the mean time as well.

Thanks.

EDIT: I also deleted and reposted this thread btw. The first one had some funny mistakes. I've been awake over 25 hours now. :tired:

Go to sleep man! LOL

I'll have to double check but I've got a funny feeling that an auto ECU will work fine with a manual gearbox but not vice versa. Don't quote me tho...

Is the mechanical side sorted? Ie flexplate swapped for flywheel???

Yes, the mechanical side would be all sorted out.

I've also been told the automatic ECU works fine. Anyone confirm that? I need to know ASAP because I have auto R33 engine swap on hold for me, yet it's an automatic.

BTW, I noticed in your post in my last thread that you said that all RB25DET's are RWD... what about the Stagea Wagon with the AWD RB25DET? Do they have those in aussie land?

Thanks btw. (getting ready to sleep hehe)

Guest RedLineGTR

In a automatic car their are two ecus

One is the main one and the other is for the auto trans.

The main ecu is tuned less richer than the manual ecu dont know why but it is. The Main ecu with work fine with a man or auto trans.

THe auto trans ecu is mainly for the auto box itself, the main ecu just communicates to the auto ecu.

The Connection to the main ecu and a manual ecu is the same and thier should not be a problem.

Cheers Rob

Redline, thank you VERY much. I had no idea and I understand completely now.

Will there be any check engine lights though?

And does anyone have any input on my engine pictures? It is an R33 RB25DET AWD right? Because sometimes other people looking at pictures can find different things. :D

This shit is hard to get info on in america. Thanks though.

You seem to be doing things a little bit the hard way, why didn't you just get a package RB25DEt engine/5 speed complete with ECU and wireing loom or better still an R33 front cut which would have given you some very useful extras.

Because it just didn't happen that way. One of the reasons is that this engine seems to be very clean. And it comes with everything a clip would except for the interior harness, cluster, etc.

Most clips I've seen don't come with intercooler piping or any of that shit, so I'm not really concerned about having a clip.

Plus, do you have any idea how hard it is to get RB25DET clips here in America? lol.... just try to find one from a reputable place. I searched high and low, almost every site I could find had a waiting list for RB25DET clips.

ONE site had them, but I would have to wait a loooooong time to have it imported. F that.

I'll get everything figured out..