SAU Community

Oil Cooler Question

I have a question about the Jap brand oil coolers (or should I say, a cooler that has a thermostat)

What's the deal when the thermostat is closed and thus not allowing all the oil through the cooler, is this bad for the engine (eg pressure wise)?

because there's going to be that little bit too much oil in the engine? or is it not enough to even worry about?

Makes no difference at all to the oil pressure wheather the thermostat in the oil cooler block is open or closed... when its closed all the oil thats i the oil cooler just sits there chiling untill its needed. Why would there be to much oil in the engine from this?

They're used world wide, in 100's of different automotive disciplines; as per bnr#@, they are fine :)

The amount in the sump wont effect the pressure in teh slightest. The sumps mostly a reservoir for feeding the pick up.

I think you will find that the Jap oil cooler kits with thermostat don't shut down supply to the cooler completely when cold (for example Greddy) - they just limit the flow through the cooler when cold and allow more flow when hot. In this way you're nice hot engine isn't going to get a big hit of cold oil from the cooler if it had a thermostat that shut down oil supply to the cooler completely.

Edited by juggernaut1