SAU Community

Turned Right, Big Pop, Then Whirrrrrrrr...

Hey guys, well I think my turbo has finally let go. I was at a stop, turned right, 1st gear, just starting to build boost (I guess) and a big bang/pop and then a loud whirring noise (thought I had cops behind and had blipped their siren). Managed to limp home about 600m mostly down hill, didn't hear any other things go clang or bang.

Put foot on accelerator at home, and it makes a whirring noise, doesn't seem like I've blown a pipe off.

Anyway to diagnose a stuffed turbo without removing it?? I can take off the inlet pipes, but can't check the exhaust side, don't have the right gear, or know what I'm doing very much.

And just after my rotor won't go into gear (must be clutch master/slave), I've got 2 fricken owwies...... :cheers: and car-less!

Ooops, forgot to mention, 1993 R32 - RB20DET (R33 turbo)

Fixxxer

Edited by Fixxxer

Did you get a big white plume of smoke out the back?

Does the car drive normally but just will not make boost?'

If yes to both these questions then probably the turbo, but could be other things too. Take the dump off and have a look, if turbo is ok then you have a more seriolus problem.

And just after my rotor won't go into gear (must be clutch master/slave), I've got 2 fricken owwies...... :cheers: and car-less!

Considering there is a lot of stress on the drivetrain on initial take off, I'd say these 2 problems are actually 1.

I reckon you just killed 1st gear, does engine run in neutral?

Sorry guys, just let me clarify, "rotor" = my other car, a Mazda rotary. Skyline is my daily driven car.

I don't recall seeing any white smoke (I have dark tint), and didn't notice any when the car was idling at home.

I checked all the joins with a torch and felt around, didn't notice anything odd. I'm leading away from the split pipe thing cause the whirring was/is quite loud, don't think it would make that loud a noise with just a split.

lol @ death whine

ive heard that nasty noise b4 :D as for blowing white smoke.. that only happens when the seals let go.. my turbo wheel fell apart and there was no white smoke

the bearings r probably gone, hence the whining noise. it will still build boost, thou it will sound horrible and u could lose ur motor if the wheels let go like mine did :D

Thanks for everyones help guys, gonna start her again in the morning before work and see if I can definately pinpoint it as the turbo before taking stuff off the car.

Ohhh, and yeah, it pretty much sounded like that "death whine" when I put my foot down to slightly load the engine, it sounded like a turbo starting to spool up, and then the whining comes along as it spools. I managed to crawl home without it making that noise again, since it was mostly downhill.

:D Looks like the dreaded ceramic wheel strikes again :D

Fixxxer

Thanks Bumblebee, ok, hope that's true (it's just the bearings), still means I have to get it off somehow and get it repaired or replaced asap.... I doubt it's even worth repairing, since it'd probably cost a lot more than a 2nd hand r33 turbo, and I'd still have that damn ceramic wheel.

Started her up this morning, no smoke whatsoever, and no noise at idle, but as soon as it starts to spool up it's whirring from around the turbo area.

Thanks again.

Fixxxer

its the bearings hahaha, get a new turbo asap :) b4 it costs u a motor

just replace it.. if u do repair it, make sure u get a steel wheel that way u can a lil more boost without having to worry aobut the wheel breakin off and gettin the smaller particales sucked back into the motor