SAU Community

Auto to manual conversion (starter?)

If I were to convert the R33 auto engine RB25DET to manual, do I need the auto starter? Is it the same?

I searched but could not find.

Thanks

Also, what else is needed besides for these parts?

Flywheel and bolts

Clutch disc

Pressure plate and bolts

Is that about it? And sensor stuff?

EDIT: I'm not speaking about the whole car. Just the engine.

You will need these parts from your model skyline, eg R33

gearbox,

gear stick,

gear stick cover,

gear knob,

pressure plate,

clutch,

flywheel,

pedals,

pedalbox,

clutch master cylinder,

drive shaft,

g'box mount and cross members,

center console.

Also the R32 GTR uses one kind of wiring harness but in the GTS4 and GTS-t models there is four different wiring harnesses eg:

- A/T with auto spoiler

- M/T with auto spoiler

- A/T without auto spoiler

- M/T without auto spoiler

This makes it fun to do a conversion from auto to manual unless you have a manual wiring harness! although it is possible to use the A/T harness if you find the plug on the side of the fuse/relay box in the engine bay, this plug has only two thick wires going into it you need to connect these two wires together to be able to start the engine, (the A/T equiped vehicles have a ignition cut-out system) also the reverse lights need wiring too.

MEGA

You're confusing me here.

I have an AWD R33 RB25DET with an automatic transmission.

It is an engine swap with a complete harness.

It is going into a US spec S13.

I live in the US.. no skylines here. Just wondering if there is a way to keep the auto harness and wire this up in the S13.

And what is a spoiler? When I think of spoiler I think of a wing on the back of a car....

Ahh... Sorry I didn't see that it is for a conversion.

Yes you can use the auto harness there will just be some wiring to be done, when you say complete harness does this include the Fuse/relay box in the engine bay as this makes the job heaps easier to do. There will be some wiring for the ignition as I am sure the bulk heads on the harnesses on the S13 will be different to the R33. If you plan to convert it to a manual you will need to do the wiring that I explained above to start the engine, or you can change the auto's Park/neutral switch to the neutral switch on the manual and this will also enable you to start the engine.

Also if you plan to run the standard engine management you will need to connect a few of the sensors as you stated above, these will include exhaust temp, radiator temp as well as a fuel pump control module and some more wiring if you want the ecu to control the fuel pump.

The auto spoiler is at the front of the skyline under the front bar, it was a factory option so not all have them. You probably call it an auto air dam?

Once again sorry I didn't mean to confuse you!

MEGA

Well, I'll see what all my engine has when it gets to me and then I'll bump this topic up again.

I do plan on doing all of the wiring to run the car on the skyline ecu. Hopefully it works out.. I know it will be damn hard.

I'll get it all though, even if I have to piece it together..

Thanks.

Sorry just a few quick questions. I am pretty sure there were no RB25det AWD engines...... Except from the stagea. What car did they say this engine came from??

Also are you going to be making the s13 AWD?? Because that would be quite hard, but very cool.

Was the S13 silvia delivered to the US? I'm pretty sure the S14 was (with a different engine) but never never heard of the s13 over there, can you post a pic of what the US s13 looks like?

Sorry for all the questions, just interested, thanks.

Greg.

Originally posted by GTS-4OrCeD

Sorry just a few quick questions. I am pretty sure there were no RB25det AWD engines...... Except from the stagea.  What car did they say this engine came from??

Also are you going to be making the s13 AWD??  Because that would be quite hard, but very cool.

Making an S13 AWD would be insane... I wouldn't even try. This topic was created to get an idea of what it takes to convert the engine and wiring to RWD.

I don't know what my engine is from. Probably a stagea...

• 1 month later...

nameless your on nico right? also do you think to can do alittle write up on the wiring part of the swap for the S13, also do you need to still need to do alot more work if you happen to find a RB25DET R33 GTST ECU you have to do alot more work like wiring the sensors and stuff

Yep I'm on there.

I'll be doing a write up on my swap in about 4-6 months. I guarantee it will be the MOST detailed one out there.. unless someone manages to come up with a very detailed one in the meantime. It will also include parts like converting an AWD sump to RWD and using a RWD gearbox etc.