SAU Community

Bazr33 Headed Out To Test And Tune

bazr33

Hey guys

I went for a spin down to willowbank last night, to see how my car is performing since i had some modifications done to it.

Im still not happy with launching, and what would be my ideal shift points?

My car is R33 GTST, Standard Internals, GT30R (.82 rear) (14PSI), and have all of the other supporting mods.

I have 275/45/19" wheels, so i thought i wouldnt of had a prob with traction, but one of the runs i spun all second gear.

Further runs into the night i managed to controll it, but now, just not happy with launches.

60' 2.354,

330' 6.052,

660' 8.931

MPH 85.81,

1000' 11.372,

MPH 112

ET 13.3,

I have vid footage aswell but unsure how to put it on, but ya can tell on the vid i look really slow taking off.

The way i have been taking off, is sitting the revs on roughly 3500-4000, bit of handbrake and bring the clutch out slightly so its holding, then dumpin it.

i think my starts are also being affected as my turbo isnt kicking in as soon as i want to (3800-4000)??, but thats my prob when i bought it i guess.

If i had an auto with a stally, i guess i would be ducks nuts, but yeah.

Any advice would be great, and i'll give it a crack the next time i head out.

When i do head out next i will most probably have the boost put up to either 16-18psi.

The tips can start when you get rid of the horrible 19" rubber and put on something that won't just plain suck at the drags. Really mate, they're useless. Your mph indicates that you have a whole second yet to come off your ET if you get rid of the 19's - at least for racing.

Also with the diff i have in my car is still from when i had the Auto in it. Could this affect my Mph and being able to launch the car a bit easier with the 4.1 ratio diff?

From reading other posts, it seems to be the ideal 60ft time on street tyres is 1.8-2.0. Which with a good set of tyres i should be getting close to a mid-low 12.

Also with the diff i have in my car is still from when i had the Auto in it. Could this affect my Mph and being able to launch the car a bit easier with the 4.1 ratio diff?

From reading other posts, it seems to be the ideal 60ft time on street tyres is 1.8-2.0. Which with a good set of tyres i should be getting close to a mid-low 12.

Don't worry about the diff ratio. It's better for acceleration at your power level anyway. i.e. it's a good thing that you have 4.3's.

Ideal is about 1.80 on regular street tyres although whether you'll do that on 19's is anyone's guess. I used to run 1.78 - 1.85's on 245/40/17's but that was with a lot of practice. If you take half a second off your 60' time you'll be easily into the low 12's. No handbrake from now on as well. Buy some 16's and some drag radials and have some fun.

Sounds like a plan,

what MT radials would be best to put on a standard r33 rim? Im guessing the 255 is going to hang out a bit past my guards?

Go to any Jap wrecker and buy a pair of 300ZX rims. They shouldn't cost more than $50 each (should be more like $50 for two) and they're the right offset and measure 16 x 7 1/2"

they'll fit a 255/50/16" MT ET Street Radial no problems and you will be shaving tenths in no time.

I have gone with a pair of r32 gtr rims with mt's on them (thanks to Col)

so will be picking them up this week sometime.

Then head out again and have another go.

What do you believe is the ideal revs to launch at, with my setup?

And just the other thing, is What would be my ideal shift points with the internally standard engine?

Thanks 2rismo for your help

I have gone with a pair of r32 gtr rims with mt's on them (thanks to Col)

so will be picking them up this week sometime.

Then head out again and have another go.

What do you believe is the ideal revs to launch at, with my setup?

And just the other thing, is What would be my ideal shift points with the internally standard engine?

Thanks 2rismo for your help

Good stuff, mate. Nice big skid to start the day but then just normal to little ones from then on. they hold the heat quite well. Start at about 15psi in them and practice launching anywhere from 5000rpm to about 6500rpm, 500rpm at a time. You'll get a feel for what works and then you can refine it and play with tyre pressures etc.

R32 GTR rims look great on 33's IMHO - especially with a pair of radials on board.

Good luck.

Hey Baz

Next time you go to willowbank, post up an invite for all of us. I went to my first one on 26 march. My car is not powerful by any means, but i have so much fun. I really enjoyed it. I have an auto R33, myself and a mate are going again in a couple of weeks. Would be good to have a felllow SAU dude there.

PS: check events section and drag times in Qld section, you can see my best time.

Sounds like a good idea, to organise a few SAU guys out to test and tune.

I will post up in the events section and organise a night in a couple of weeks time.

I remember my first time out to the drags (in a gemini haha) but i had an awesome time.

Just being able to flog the crap out of the car legally, and in a controlled environment. And is very cheap.

Every so often i'll head out to see if i can better my times and practice.

But yeah keep an eye out for the events section and we will get a few SAU people out.

• 4 weeks later...

Alrighty, i only had two runs tonight, as there were a fair fews cars that came out ,( one or two skylines though)

Both runs i had 20psi in the tyres ( i was going to put the pressure down on second run, but i farked up the first one so. )

First run i did 13.201 - 60ft 2.2 - Mph 113

2nd run 12.8 - 60ft 1.989 - Mph 115.

So hopefully next time i will put the pressure in the tyres to 15, get the 60ft down a a little more and hope for a low 12.

Also on the 2nd run i did notice when i launched ( was about 5000rpm) that i got axle tramp and skidded away, so probably a sign that the pressure was still a little too high in the tyres. Anyway looking forward to next time to better the time.

• 1 month later...

i thought i will post up again, even though i have posted elsewhere on this site.

Headed out couple of weeks ago with the tyre perssures of the mts dropped to roughly 18psi. Hardly any skid this time.

Did a new PB of 12.281@114mph 60 ft dropped to 1.776.

Had more revs at the start close to 5000rpm (guessing there cause i wasn't looking)

3rd gear i left it rev out for too long, which slowed me down a little.

My launch i reckon i can still improve on and other areas.

So next time hopefully i'll see or be even closer to high legs 11.

By that time this engine will be pulled out and sold, to put my forged engine in and crack a mack 10. whoop whoop

i thought i will post up again, even though i have posted elsewhere on this site.

Headed out couple of weeks ago with the tyre perssures of the mts dropped to roughly 18psi. Hardly any skid this time.

AWESOME! Congrats, thats great to hear - I ran on street tires with the same turbo, same boost and got the same time on them and have been intending on running my next meet on Micky Ts as well :(

Fair to say I might be able to pull similar? I'm actually looking at raising the boost a tad too.

13888-1997-Nissan-Skyline-Timeslip.jpg

Had more revs at the start close to 5000rpm (guessing there cause i wasn't looking)

3rd gear i left it rev out for too long, which slowed me down a little.

My launch i reckon i can still improve on and other areas.

So next time hopefully i'll see or be even closer to high legs 11.

By that time this engine will be pulled out and sold, to put my forged engine in and crack a mack 10. whoop whoop

Great job mate!

AWESOME! Congrats, thats great to hear - I ran on street tires with the same turbo, same boost and got the same time on them and have been intending on running my next meet on Micky Ts as well :(

Fair to say I might be able to pull similar? I'm actually looking at raising the boost a tad too.

13888-1997-Nissan-Skyline-Timeslip.jpg

Yeah there is no reason why ya shouldnt be able to pull the same time, as your time on street tyres and mine are pretty much spot on.

get some of those Mt's, they are farkin sweet. High revs and bang!! instant grip haha.

Let us know how ya go.

My engine is getting taken over to get put together on sunday so shouldnt be too far away for going down again.