SAU Community

Handbrake Stronger Than Rears !

Hi Guys,

Ok, this is to the Auto guys, although just as applicable to the manuals as well. I had the rear in the air the other day so i could spin up the tyres while i was gathering data scoping inputs to the auto computer, and i noticed to my horror that i could stall up on the handbrake alone about 3 times more than just using the brake pedal !!

I mainly sprint race the car, it doesnt get driven on the road alot these days , so it sits a month at a time between rounds.

The car has slotted dba rotors, machined with EBC reds front and Greens on rear bout a year ago. I've had no obvious dramas while racing with the brakes.

The only thing i did notice is that when over doing the drags for a run, i simply couldn't get it to stall as good as i used to, even with the new 3500 converter ! (over the previous 2800).

Any one had a similar problem with this ? Im guessing either air in the line or a seized caliper possibly. Possible pad contamination long shot.

I'll be ripping the wheels off tomorrow for a better look , just thought id post up to see if someone has seen similar, and once i fix it , its info for someone further down the track.

Gary

so you have a skyline?

If so I guess you haven't worked out you have a drum handbrake built into the hat of the rear rotors yet? The hand brake and rear brakes are 2 completely separate systems

so you have a skyline?

If so I guess you haven't worked out you have a drum handbrake built into the hat of the rear rotors yet? The hand brake and rear brakes are 2 completely separate systems

Yes sorry its an S1 R33 Sedan. Yes well aware the hbrake is drum. Hence i find it strange that its got about 3 times more holding power that the disc brakes, and hence my problem and why i was checking to see if someone else had come across similar.

Gary

I would have thought stalling it on the front brakes using a line lock would have been the way to go

Using a line lock on the fronts is great when your trying to pull a skid to warm tyres.............. its useless when trying to stall up against the converter..... you need to lock the rear wheels ..

its fine, i'll figure it out when i get back to looking at it. I'll post the results for posterity when someone else is looking possibly later on.

Gary