SAU Community

Mechanic Fitted My Cam Gears.....now I Hear A Bubbly Noise Coming From Under The Rocker Cover!

What could this be?......i just got the car back yesterday, and my mechanic just changed the cam gears, when the motor is off, there's a bubbly noise coming from inside the motor (under the rocker cover), and it had lost some water aswell......i guess since he would have had to do timing belt at the same they would have had to bleed the system, and they may have not done it so.....???/

please help, my mechanics going to have a look at it today and i dont want it to be anything big.

he did not bleed the cooling system correctly and this can cause you to overheat your engine.

Sometimes its best to jack the front of the car up when bleeding it.

Take it back to him and suggest this.

you havent stated what rb you have so heres a generic description.

in rb30's it is important to make sure the system is bleed properly as the head sits higher than the radiator.

take for example the 1987 holden commodore with the rb30 single cam, they made two flaws when making that car,

the aforemention hieght of the radiator, and the location of the overflow bottle.

this is the reason alot of them had cracked heads yet the rb20 models didnt.

theres a T piece with a rubber cap on the heater hose against the fire wall, this is the highest point of any rb's water cooling system, on the 20's and 25's there is the obvious 10 ml bolt on the top of the plenum at the front,

this is the next highest bleed point, undo these when cold and start the engine the pump will pressurize the system forcing the air out the top.

just check under the oil cap to make sure theres no mayo' always pays to check you havent got a crack in the head.