SAU Community

All the Rumors aside **Nissan Patrol Clutch fits**

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i cant see a single thread where anybody has had a patrol clutch expolde or fail on them yet
hey can some1 tell me what clutch friction plates can be used ie i herd u can use a vl turbo clutch

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Bumping for 2 reasons.

1: It's been a few years now since this thread, and keeping in mind the content of the thread re: explosions etc, has anyone had exploding patrol clutch yet?

2: What model Patrol does this clutch belong to? What year range? I don't want to turn this into another 5 pages which lack info, so anyone who's 100%, fill me in.

• 1 month later...

A bit of over reaction here I think. Yeah I fitted one of these years ago and posted up some info on it at the time.

Basically the only difference is the clutch plate itself, the pressure plate and throwout bearing have the same part numbers as the Skyline clutch.

When you compare the two driven plates, the only difference is the size of the springs in the sprung center, and they do not effect the clamping force or

load rating..only the engagement characteristics. Clutch plate material is organic like 95% of stock clutches, and doesn't have any magicial properties or hidden pitfalls,

and certainly doesn't know how many rpm's its doing.

As for results, it lasted 180,000k's and wasn't treated the best at times. The stock one gives around 130,000 if your lucky.

Driving with it was pretty much the same as stock, maybe slightly quicker to engage, pedal height & feel about the same,..hope this helps.

Basically it's just the VL 3lt rb30 commo clutch offered in two forms..std & hd.

Edited by FTO

• 3 weeks later...

Going to add some useful information re: Exedy part numbers. - Then see if someone can shed some more light on this.

In regards to FITMENT, all of these clutches should be interchangable:

NSK-7056 - Used in R31 RB20's and R33 GTS-T's

NSK-6797 - Used in R31 RB30E's and VL commodores, various Navara's and a Cabstar.

NSK-7121 - Used in R32 GTR's (earlier models with push type clutch)

NSK-6151 - Used in MQ L28 Patrols, and the GQ Y60 RB30 Patrol

Now each clutch is available in it's different forms below:

(Using NSK-6797 as an example)

OEM Replacement:

NSK-6797

Sports Tuff (Pink) Series:

NSK-6797HD - Heavy Duty

NSK-6797HDB - Heavy Duty Button

NSK-6797HDCB - Heavy Duty Cushion Button

Racing Clutch:

NSK-6797SO - Sports Organic

NSK-6797SC - Sports Ceramic

NSK-6797RC - Race Ceramic

Safari Tuff:

NSK-6797ST - Very close to Sports Organic. Read below.

Now with all the variations of clutch set in this way you can see they come under certain groups. This is how Exedy sets them out on the website. Now if you read the description on the HD clutches, it doesn't mention anything about anti-burst pressure plates, etc. It pretty much says the plate comes with more clamp force and that's all.

Now read up on the Racing Clutch series, they start here with spheroidal graphite pressure plate castings, and additional drive straps to prevent bursting at high RPM. So until you reach this series, all the talk about exploding clutches should be a moot point. Race series comes with usually at least 3 choices. The first being organic friction plate with the same design as OEM or HD so you'll get great driveablility out of them.

Keeping all this in mind, now go read up on the Safari Tuff cluches. They boast the same increased clamping force as the Racing Series, they also have the same anti burst pressure plate design as the race series, with an organic clutch plate, again like the Sports Organic in the Racing Series.

I have found Safari Tuff clutches that will fit for $450odd. Besides a weaker spring setting (that doesn't mean weaker springs like they will break) I don't see really any difference between them. Now if Patrol clamp loads are high than Skylines OEM (someone mentioned this, but is it true?), you can expect the Safari Tuff would outperform every other Organic clutch option that's availalable to fit. The only thing you wouldn't want to do is huge AWD launches because of the weaker spring. But then when you think about 2000-3000kg 4WD's doing hill starts on rocky surfaces, these clutches aren't princesses anyways.

It's been years now, even the cheaper HD Patrol (NSK-6151HD I assume) clutches aren't exploding, even without their anti burst casing.

So whadda ya's think? The price of a Sports Organic Race Clutch is well over double the price, all for some spring settings? I think when you put the word Skyline on something the price doubles.

/rant

<opinions>

[quote name=ClutchBurndout-:(' timestamp='1301282150' post='5733839]

so S1 r33 gtst cant use them?

You should be able to get anything in the list above as well. Give or take clamp loads, which Exedy doesn't seem to provide for all of them so it's hard to compare that.

Edit: Has anyone used a Safari Tuff clutch in a Skyline? :D

Edited by GTRPowa