SAU Community

R33 Crash In Moorabbin Last Night

pj-33

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first of all a turbo skyline/car will not go anywhere in the wet unless your giving it a fair bit or just being stupid. no matter how much power its got

2nd, driver training courses are useless and wont make you a better driver on the road, it might if you practice with poles, cars, trees etc on the track instead of cones...

3rd, stop whinging about other peoples spelling. if you cant make out what someone's post is saying then maybe your the 1 who should go back to school

first of all a turbo skyline/car will not go anywhere in the wet unless your giving it a fair bit or just being stupid. no matter how much power its got

2nd, driver training courses are useless and wont make you a better driver on the road, it might if you practice with poles, cars, trees etc on the track instead of cones...

3rd, stop whinging about other peoples spelling. if you cant make out what someone's post is saying then maybe your the 1 who should go back to school

On the 3rd point, I agree with you (obviously)

On the 2nd point, I dont know, since I've never done the course before, I wouldn't know, I'm just going by what I've heard.

On the 1st point, you're right, the car won't powerslide unless you've been giving it to it, but i wasn't talking about powersliding, i was talking about the car just sliding out (even without power being applied), and as I've said before, it could be just my suspension/tyre setup, either way, I don't think you can make that generalisation without ever driving my car. But maybe that wasn't directed at my, and was just a general comment.

Anyway, this thread is about my friends crash, the reason that i came on was just to let people know what happened and that he wasn't trying to be a 'hero' as some people commented. If everybody is so divided about advanced driving courses/instability of skylines on wet roads/grammer, maybe seperate threads should be made just for those issues.

Just my 2c :D

On the 3rd point, I agree with you (obviously)

On the 2nd point, I dont know, since I've never done the course before, I wouldn't know, I'm just going by what I've heard.

On the 1st point, you're right, the car won't powerslide unless you've been giving it to it, but i wasn't talking about powersliding, i was talking about the car just sliding out (even without power being applied), and as I've said before, it could be just my suspension/tyre setup, either way, I don't think you can make that generalisation without ever driving my car. But maybe that wasn't directed at my, and was just a general comment.

Anyway, this thread is about my friends crash, the reason that i came on was just to let people know what happened and that he wasn't trying to be a 'hero' as some people commented. If everybody is so divided about advanced driving courses/instability of skylines on wet roads/grammer, maybe seperate threads should be made just for those issues.

Just my 2c :down:

If your car is sliding out without warning when you are trying to drive safely you get get the suspension/tyres checked before you make yourslef (or someone else) another statistic.

i agree with borko i dont know what cars most of you drive i remember my first car was a non turbo r32 and any round about i approached no matter how slow the ass would come out i have spun out on the way to work normally driving before not even pushing it !

with my GTR now its 100 times better with the 4wd but there was a time wen it was constant rwd even then the slightest bit of oil on the road can make ur car slide out as it has happend to me pleanty of times (Without even speeding or pushing it!)

I honestly don't know how any of you have trouble controlling a Skyline in the wet, mine feels pretty much the same as in the dry, though the suspension/tyres are not standard, but coming from driving various commodores they feel pretty solid on the road.

As soon as i got a full time job and a licence at 17, I went out and bought my VN, now going from a Pulsar to a V8 was a whole lot of a learning curve in itself, I thought I had it all worked out to drive, but then went through the hard experience of giving it enough stick to kick down in the wet, break traction in a roundabout and smash a front tyre into a gutter, almost hitting a pole in the process put an end to that illusion.

Not long after that I decided to plant it showing off coming out of a service station and yep same thing happened, jumped the median strip and ended up facing the wrong way in the opposite lane.

After the second time I learnt to slow down, was so glad that i managed to learn this without killing myself, someone else or wrecking the car.

That said, the only people i've ever seen spin out were those deliberately trying to 'drift', in the wet, usually in early 90's model commodores/falcons!

I do also think that tyre choice can play a part in this obviously, not to mention having a properly working LSD (not really an issue with skylines I would imagine) as well as driver experience. I guess also with automatics and how they can kick down and hit boost would also have something to do with this.

Just one other thing, to those bashing defensive driver courses, have any of you undertaken one? Just curious as to whether you had any justification to those comments or whether it was more just a personal opinion type thing.

Edited by bozodos

I have no idea how anyone finds a stock Skyline hard to drive. I come from a turbo FWD background which I can guarantee you is quite a handful to drive and I've never lost it in a turbo FWD (except for on a track), nor an N/A or Turbo RWD :laughing-smiley-014: I'm not professing to be the worlds most fantastic driver either. Common sense and driving to the conditions is all it comes down to. Good tyres and suspension help :D

I've owned two stock R31's, both would wheelspin and do standstills at inappropriate times (ie. stopped in a middle turning lane on a highway waiting to turn 90' into a street.) You adapt, you ease your foot onto the throttle more gently - problem solved. Car under/oversteers - you learn from the first time and don't take corners that fast/under lots of throttle - problem solved. The car is skatey in wet weather - drive slower, problem solved. The R34 is lovely to drive. It's rained quite a bit and I'm still yet to loose traction.

Do some advanced driving courses, they'll teach you a lot about how a car will react in a given scenario.

Edited by llama_au

was raining flat out tonight, and was giving the skyline a little bit in RWD (getting upto around 10psi), and not once did it feel like it was even close to breaking traction or sliding! This was out of curiousity at some of the other people in this thread saying how easily they kick out! Maybe its just an R33 thing? :)

Thats one of the most stuipest things ive ever heard.

They are very useful actually... ive been on a few and its great to learn how a car reacts when it spins out and/or when the brakes locks up in a controlled condition. You learn exactly what to do to help bring the car back on the straight.

I rather learn it with cones the first few times rather then it suddenly happens and i have no idea what the car is doing and I slam into a pole... Or even worse slam into another car and cause damage to other peoples property and themselves.

Edited by br3ndan