SAU Community

Oil In The Bell Housing?

Hey all,

Im not going to lie to you peeps but evidently clutches/transmissions are not my strong point.

anyway moving right a long I have a bit of a clutch slippage issue which considering the age of the vehicle and the fact that i track it im sure the clutch is just worn out....But the slippage seems to be variable day to day. sometimes it slips like crazy sometimes its like its perfect again?

Is there an easy way of finding out if there is oil getting into the bell housing and causing or contributing to my slippage issue? I must say that when it does slip there really isnt a strong clutch burning aroma like I would have expected.

Cheers

Camden

I would assume there would be a drain plug on the bottom of the bell housing... Haven't had the need to check mine so not 100% sure + im too lazy to back up my assumption.

Edited by Tomek

I would assume there would be a drain plug on the bottom of the bell housing... Haven't had the need to check mine so not 100% sure + im too lazy to back up my assumption.

haha but it does sound like a reasonable assumption. I'm getting the feeling i'll just purchase a new clutch anyway. even if it isnt completely rooted its probably about time to find something that is more matched to the cars power. (especially when i finally get back on the track)

Cheers

Camden

is the oil gearbox oil or engine oil you may have a leaky rear main seal letting go if you dont fix it you will end up with oil on ya new clutch

Mate i don't actually know if there is oil leaking or not.. thats why i was asking if there is an easy way to check. but since im pretty sure i'll change the clutch regardless im sure i'll see quick smart when i take the bell housing off.

Cheers

Camden

if oil was on the clutch once it would be stuffed as the oil soaks in and you can never get it out , (if its fibre) more than likely its slipping more when it hot, woiuld this explain it ?

I guess it does slip more when hot...but its hard to really say if your on the freeway (which is generally where i am 5 minutes from leaving my house) it will slip regardless

either way the box is gonna have to come out

so just get the box out

fit a new clutch and if the rear main is leaking change it and be done with it

Ya that's pretty much my plan.