SAU Community

V35 Tyres

It seems the V35s with their fancy shmancy 225/45 R18 fronts and 245/45 R18s in the rear like expensive tyres... been quoted upwards of $300 a pop.

I was wondering what brands you guys were using? Particularly interested in the 18 inchers...

Or should I just get a 19" wheel + tyre package for the same money and sell the stockies?

-Max

Max, I had Kenda tyres fitted on mine for compliance purpose. less than $900 full set, that's about $225 each incl GST.

Has yours passed compliance? If not the 19" may not be compliable depending if your car has a 19" listed on its tyre placard, and who's doing the compliance.

Rianto, are the Kenda's any good? Do you know where I could get some in Melbourne? The best quote I've gotten is $300/$320 for Hankooks for 225s/245s.

I probably should have done a search on this first - I see people have used Nankangs etc, and that the 245/40s are a fair bit cheaper?

Well Kenda is compliance tyres so you'd expect level of grip and quality of compliance tyres in general.

I used to get a quote $350-ish for bridgestone 235s, not sure on 245s but for that extra $50 each for a better tyre, why not? but hancook and/or nankang these days are quite ok, but don't expect they'll grip like dunlop sp or a bridgestone sports series.

The Sumimotos seem pretty good... did you buy them from a Chain or a small shop? If a chain, that'll give me a good starting point here in Melbourne.

Got them from a local tyre shop in Brissie. but shouldn't be too hard to find a set in Melb.

You can also try the Falken FK452s...great tyre as well, running the 2nd set on my 34 and a lot of the USDM guys run it on their Gs...similar pricing.

• 6 months later...
I'm running the new Sumitomo HTR-ZIII in 225/45 and 245/45 18s. Have had them for over a month now and they are great. quiet, grippy in wet and Made in Japan too.

Good review here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=93

Set me back $1100 for the set.

so, here we are some 6 months later...are your (this brand of) tires still quiet??....I'm looking for QUIET tires, yours seem nice.

so, here we are some 6 months later...are your (this brand of) tires still quiet??....I'm looking for QUIET tires, yours seem nice.

Have done approx 10,000kms on them and have no complaints. They are still as quiet as before and wear on the thread is only marginal, still have plenty of thread left.

Have done approx 10,000kms on them and have no complaints. They are still as quiet as before and wear on the thread is only marginal, still have plenty of thread left.

well, with what you say, and the fact that you're still alive to tell me this info....I'm buyin em!

(tread or thread bro?....all good!)

well, with what you say, and the fact that you're still alive to tell me this info....I'm buyin em!

(tread or thread bro?....all good!)

Actually, forgot to mention, although I don't have any complaints with the Sumis, my next set I will revert back to Falken FK452s simply because they look better (flatter side wall) :banana: and perform as well or better than the Sumis and are similarly priced and they are made in Japan too!

Edited by n15m0

Actually, forgot to mention, although I don't have any complaints with the Sumis, my next set I will revert back to Falken FK452s simply because they look better (flatter side wall) :banana: and perform as well or better than the Sumis and are similarly priced and they are made in Japan too!

as long as they're Q-U-I-E-T bro.....that's all I want.....Thankyou for your response!

(I believe that it's a 'given' that these tires should at least have a little all weather performance aspect to them)

Just got a set of Sumitimo HTRZ III's

after much research online, with mostly positive reviews, got them put on last week.

Very good grip, much better than my old Brdiegstone Regeno's, but then again they were old tyres so not a like for like comparison.

I dont know too much about tyres but very happy, less noise, more group and reasonably priced 300 for the rear (245/45/18) and 250 for the front (225/45/18)

Just got a set of Sumitimo HTRZ III's

after much research online, with mostly positive reviews, got them put on last week.

Very good grip, much better than my old Brdiegstone Regeno's, but then again they were old tyres so not a like for like comparison.

I dont know too much about tyres but very happy, less noise, more group and reasonably priced 300 for the rear (245/45/18) and 250 for the front (225/45/18)

cool man!.....less noise hey??.....like quite quiet???..really quiet?...sort of quiet???

No more 4wd tire noise quiet?...quite unnoticeable?...pretty quiet?

(yeah, I know man....but tires cost bux, and I hate gettin bitten!...oh, and I'm hoping the Sumi's are all that!)

Superspit...waving the quiet banner.

cool man!.....less noise hey??.....like quite quiet???..really quiet?...sort of quiet???

No more 4wd tire noise quiet?...quite unnoticeable?...pretty quiet?

(yeah, I know man....but tires cost bux, and I hate gettin bitten!...oh, and I'm hoping the Sumi's are all that!)

Superspit...waving the quiet banner.

this is all compared to the original tyres on my car, which were bridgestone regeno's, but since they were worn tyres, its an apple toe organe comaprison.

From all the reviews and feedbacki read, its seems like they are very good value for money, the main criticisms seems to be;

the need for improved wet weather performance (although adequate)

and the fat sidewalls