SAU Community

Original Boost Solenoid Question

Hi guys. Just bought an R33 gts-t and looking for some help and advice on reconnecting the original boost solenoid, as when I picked the car up it had a bunch of hose ends filled with screws.

I've searched about and haven't found any pictures which make it totally clear what goes where. Here is what I have:

Solenoid.jpg

The hose marked 2 is joined here behind the I/C pipework (is this standard?):

connection.jpg

Am I right in thinking that hose 1 (from the I/C pipe work) needs to have a restrictor in it and is tee'd with the hose marked 2 and connected to B on the boost solenoid, leaving hose 3 to be connected to A.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

Ey dave... the original boost solenoid is being bypassed completely..

(on the boost solenoid)

A goes to the wastegate actuator

B goes to intercooler piping

What other mods came with the car? And why u wanna run the original boost solenoid anyway? I cant work out what why yours is set up that way dont have enough knowledge lol maybe others can shed light here...

what boost is your car running?

have a look at this thread for pics

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/In...hl=manual+boost

Thanks for the advice. The car is running the low 0.5 bar boost all the time so getting the standard solenoid plumbed back in would be an improvement! As to other mods its been lowered, and had a cat back exhaust replacement. Engine is standard (other than the bypassed solenoid!).

Having done a bit more poking about looking to connect to the waste gate actuator I've run into a couple of problems. Firstly the connection is on the bottom and not on the top of the actuator like the other pictures/diagrams:

DSC00044a.jpg

And secondly it is connected to something further back towards the turbo:

DSC00045a.jpg

The photo is a bit rubbish but essentially the hose from the actuator (back shown on the left) is connected to the bottom of that nut in the centre of the picture.

Is the actuator standard, and is it connected correctly? Do I need to tee into this to connect it to the solenoid? Or have I got it all wrong?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

i should add where A goes to the intercooler piping: the intercooler hose connects to the other hose grouped with the one comming from the actuator with a T-peice and its this that connects to the boost solenoid.

Your actuator looks ok????? i cant tell, Is there a hose comming out the top? It looks like the grouped hoses have been moved and pulled up onto the intake manifold??? I cant tell lol

take a couple photos from a little further back (engine bay) so we can see the whole picture (both sides of the intercooler piping)

Once again many thanks.

Here are some wider angle shots to show the carnage surrounding the boost solenoid and the extra tee behind the I/C pipe (the blocked off hose from the T in the last picture can be seen just below the I/C pipe):

DSC00051a.jpg

DSC00052a.jpg

DSC00053a.jpg

There is no hose coming from the top of the actuator, just one from the bottom, which is connected towards the turbo (not sure what its connected to see the second photo in my second post just behind the actuator rod)with a loop of hose. This looks original but I'm assuming it can't be because its supposed to be tee'd in with the line from the I/C pipework before being connected to the solenoid is it not?

Cheers,

Dave

stock should look like think (i think)

Your actuator doesn't look stock cause of where the hose is connected. Should be up like the one in my picture, not down. Maybe a series1, i don't know

1 goes to a T joint then splits out to your turbo actuator. The other hose from T goes to A.

B goes to 3.

2 is not standard. I don't know why it is connected this way.

post-48477-1214615786_thumb.jpg

post-48477-1214615799_thumb.jpg

post-48477-1214615815_thumb.jpg

Edited by teng

Awesome! :D

Just what I needed, I will be re-plumbing accordingly!

It is definitely a series 2 engine (1996 car, and no spark amplifier on the back of the engine block). Any ideas as to the connection back to the turbo? Even though this is not the stock actuator, will there be any problems plumbing it in as stock and blocking off the connection to the turbo?

Cheers,

Dave

Just try connecting it to stock first. You may need a longer hose as the actuator hole is at the bottom.

Two more attachments just for info.

Was there any problems with the car when you drove it. Any difference in power when all the hoses are connected like on your 1st and 2nd image? I don't know why the solenoid was by-passed, could it be defective hence the previous owner did it this way.

post-48477-1214692084_thumb.jpg

post-48477-1214692118_thumb.jpg

Edited by teng

By the way, there is only one 6mm hose going to the turbo actuator. There are no other places where hoses can be connected so i don't know what other connection you have modded on your car. lol

What does the actuator of an r32 look like? One way to increase the boost in the r33 is to install the actuator from an r32 as the spring is preset to 10psi... i dunno if this has anything to do with the way yours has been moded or not as i haven't looked at an r32 engine...

you said your running the low 0.5 bar boost ?

but stock skylines run 7psi (0.5 bar) from like 5000rpm as high and 5psi as low

so if you connect the stock boost solenoid back it will run the the above mention set up and the car will feel slower?