SAU Community

R34 Fmic Install Help

Hey guys ,

A mate and myself have decided that we are going to have a go at installing a FMIC kit that i got for my car.

Was wondering if anyone had any pics of the set ups on their 34's, especially with the cooling pro cooler kits from Just Jap.

Also am i able to keep the stock airbox set up with this kit. Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mick

I've installed a cooling pro on a mates R34 and have a similar type kit on my car (though its not cooling pro).

I hope you've got a lot of time on your hands as the install was a pain in the a$$. If we had to do it all over again I would pay a little more and get a brand name kit. Fit is pretty poor - the pipework is hard to line up. After many many hours we got it right but from my experience just not worth it.

You will need to extensivley trim the back of your bumper (buy a dremel kit from supercheap $20- will make it much much easier). The cooler it self fits fine behind the reo bar (this is actually the easiest bit and we didn't have to cut anything at all - though you do have to re-located or bin one of your horns). You will need to then holesaw/jigsaw under your battery to run the pipework and you will need to either bin your windscreen washer bottle or re-intall it 90 degrees turned with a custom bracket.

We had great difficulty with the radiator fan blades hitting the pipework (due to some blind one-armed asian guy who measures the pipework in the cooling pro factory) so had to hack up the fan blades. I have since bought a new radiator fan and had an extender piece of pipe made up to fix this issue (the money I spent on this alone would have had me at equal in price at Greddy cooler by now at this point - factor in extra pipe, extra silicone joiners ect ect it adds up).

The factory airbox can remain, but the cold air snorkel will not fit back on. I drove like this for a while then had to make up a custom airbox with pod and cold air feed (you will have to do this with any FMIC kit that goes over the radiator though).

You will also need to buy a nipple from Pirtek to put on your pipe work (to take a rubber hose from the power steering) as the cooling pro ones dont have one. This means you need to drill a hole in the pipework, screw in the nipple and metal putty it up (read more money).

In the end the final install looks good but its the hidden stress and problems described above that others cant see from the outside. Thats about all I can think of for now, take it from me and many many others on this forum, who have learnt from experience - better to spend more on quality parts as its less hassle and cost in the long run...if you do go ahead just factor in a lot of time so you dont rush it as it needs a lot of customising.

I would realy like to not have to move things around like the horns and fans and stuff, if i was to get the greddy kit would this mean that i would not have to change things around

I think another way around this is to get custom piping done, just found out that someone in the family can do this for me.. just gotta get a price.