SAU Community

Buying Interstate

MeLSki

So I'm buying purchasing an R32 and looking at buying Interstate because Perth totally sux! And I've heared they've passed laws where you no longer have to register your interstate vehicle in WA anymore and you don't have to take them over the pits as long as they've passed pits interstate. But what mods aren't allowed etc?

Help me! I'm getting desperate and totally sick of driving my bunky!

Dont buy interstate what ever you do especially on an R32, post what variant of R32 you are looking for, mods if any you like, colour and price range which is a good start.

Just because someone has not posted a for sale of an R32 you would like it does not mean they are not out their.

Dont buy interstate what ever you do especially on an R32, post what variant of R32 you are looking for, mods if any you like, colour and price range which is a good start.

Just because someone has not posted a for sale of an R32 you would like it does not mean they are not out their.

ok now I am like totally confused. Everyone's telling me the best thing is to buy interstate because everything in WA is over priced an you get better value interstate. Why is a bad idea?

A couple of things you need to post is what model, colour, specs and other info do you have about what you are looking for as this will help people guide you were to go and main point is what budget are you looking at.

well i would never buy a car without looking at it...... so you gotta fly over there then pay shipping costs to go back.

pain in the ass....

plenty of people do it but i wouldn't.

Yeah I guess ur right =\ aaahhh

Edited by MeLSki

A couple of things you need to post is what model, colour, specs and other info do you have about what you are looking for as this will help people guide you were to go and main point is what budget are you looking at.

Umm...I donno what you mean...I'm lookin at R32 GTST, Around 1992/93, Auto, Not phased on colour, how ever black would be preferred, not ridiculous km's, CD player, central locking, electronic fuel injection, power mirrors, power steering, power windows, tinted windows, turbo etc etc and budget...Between $9k-$12k

I was considering this route a while ago. But you have to also factor in, It's pretty much 1.5-2k for you to get a car over east in WA and on the road here in Perth so add that to any purchase price.

I've personally just decided to save a bit more money so I can look and buy a nice model in WA. That way I can drive it, have it inspected. If you do this you will know exactly what you're getting.

Anyway that's just my opinion. Best of luck on getting the car your after :stupid:

I was considering this route a while ago. But you have to also factor in, It's pretty much 1.5-2k for you to get a car over east in WA and on the road here in Perth so add that to any purchase price.

I've personally just decided to save a bit more money so I can look and buy a nice model in WA. That way I can drive it, have it inspected. If you do this you will know exactly what you're getting.

Anyway that's just my opinion. Best of luck on getting the car your after :)

Yeah you're right really hey. I might just do that. Stick it out in my bunky lol until I find 'the one' in Perth. I'm pretty hesitant about buying something I haven't seen too so I guess I'd be pressty p!ssed if I got it and it had scratches and rust and stuff

Cheers for the advice!!

xo

Speaking from experience, if you buy interstate you have to factor the cost of either driving the car or freighting it back home. Also, you can't simply transfer the registration to WA rego, you have to get a new registration. That said, I'm not 100% sure on your laws, but that is the case in NSW anyway.

I bought a car from Melbourne.

Flying down was free - frequent flyers! :)

Petrol was about $250 back to Sydney.

Accommodation overnight at Albury was about $200 too.

Transferring registration was about $1300 I think, then I had to get the car insured too.

Hope that helps.

Speaking from experience, if you buy interstate you have to factor the cost of either driving the car or freighting it back home. Also, you can't simply transfer the registration to WA rego, you have to get a new registration. That said, I'm not 100% sure on your laws, but that is the case in NSW anyway.

I bought a car from Melbourne.

Flying down was free - frequent flyers! :)

Petrol was about $250 back to Sydney.

Accommodation overnight at Albury was about $200 too.

Transferring registration was about $1300 I think, then I had to get the car insured too.

Hope that helps.

Meh too hard...I'm too lazy for all that effort!

Umm...I donno what you mean...I'm lookin at R32 GTST, Around 1992/93, Auto, Not phased on colour, how ever black would be preferred, not ridiculous km's, CD player, central locking, electronic fuel injection, power mirrors, power steering, power windows, tinted windows, turbo etc etc and budget...Between $9k-$12k

As I also thought I just spoke to my mate Raj who retails R32's (not trying to sell you one as he does not have any autos in stock) and what you are looking for along with your budget being auto it is a fair price you would expect to pay even retail with at least a dealers warranty.

So just keep looking locally and see what comes up as their is no reason why you wouldn't expect to find and buy what you want with that budget.

As I also thought I just spoke to my mate Raj who retails R32's (not trying to sell you one as he does not have any autos in stock) and what you are looking for along with your budget being auto it is a fair price you would expect to pay even retail with at least a dealers warranty.

So just keep looking locally and see what comes up as their is no reason why you wouldn't expect to find and buy what you want with that budget.

Ok, great cheers for the advice! Might have to pay ur mate Raj a visit soemtime too :P

new laws only apply for people moving interstate

you must own the car over the other state for 12 months to get it registered here without an inspection

else you still need to take it over pits

ps 12k is already R33 prices

better engine rb25 > rb20

much stronger gearbox r33 > r32

much more modern interior 33>32

Edited by R32 Driver

new laws only apply for people moving interstate

you must own the car over the other state for 12 months to get it registered here without an inspection

else you still need to take it over pits

ps 12k is already R33 prices

better engine rb25 > rb20

much stronger gearbox r33 > r32

much more modern interior 33>32

Ok cool, cheers for the info!

I've bought cars from Tas, N.S.W, QLD and S.A...Tas wasn't great, Bass straight was messy and so was I.

If it's the right car I'll travel nps...Overheads aren't that much it generally works out like a cheap weekend away.

Best of all you get to know your car a hell of a lot on the road trip home and that's generally lots of fun.

Edited by madbung

find someone you trust in the other state (be it another SAU member or a relative or mate), have the car taken to a trusted workshop, and if all is well then book it onto a rail transport.

An auto R32 GTSt will probably cost you about 8k with reg in melb, and funnily enough an auto R33 GTSt will probably cost you the same amount. The market's died in the arse over here due to petrol prices and you'll find that due to the oversaturation of kids wanting to get rid of their once cool toys you can squeeze em hard on price.